November 17, 2015

Port of Naples, Italy: Following in My Ancestors’ Footsteps

Naples, Italy

I was especially excited about the last stop on our cruise. Naples is a bustling port city and the gateway to some of Italy’s most famous destinations, including the island of Capri, the ancient ruins of Pompeii, and the beautiful Amalfi Coast.

Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast had both been on my bucket list for years, so knowing they were on our schedule for the day had me up and ready early that morning.

It was everything I had dreamed it would be—and more.

How do you describe standing among the ruins of Pompeii or looking out over the breathtaking coastline of Sorrento and Positano?

Surreal. Wonderful. Magnificent. Awe-inspiring. Stunning. Thrilling.

Honestly, there just aren’t enough words to describe it.

Naples, Italy

But there was something else about arriving in the Naples Port that made this stop especially meaningful to me.

My great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather left Italy and came to America around the turn of the century. Standing in that port, I couldn’t help but think about them and wonder what they must have felt as they prepared to leave their homeland behind.

As I looked at the old buildings and watched the activity around the harbor, I realized that I was seeing some of the same sights my ancestors may have seen more than a hundred years ago.

I stood on the deck of our ship looking down at the busy port and tried to imagine what it must have been like for them to stand in that very same place, preparing to leave Italy for a new life in America.

There must have been fear and uncertainty about what lay ahead, but I imagine there was also excitement and hope for what the future might bring.

It was an incredibly emotional feeling to know that I was standing in a place that was part of my family's story.

9

Leaving Naples

After such an incredible day exploring Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast, we returned to the ship and prepared to leave Naples.

As we sailed away, we were treated to this beautiful sunset.

It was the perfect ending to an unforgettable day—and to an unforgettable European vacation.


 

This gorgeous guy is Roberto, who was our personal guide for the day. Having a private guide made our time in Naples, Pompeii, and along the Amalfi Coast even more special. He helped us make the most of our limited time and introduced us to places and sights that I will never forget.

Looking back, Naples wasn’t just another port stop on our cruise. It was a chance to experience some of the places I had dreamed of visiting for years—and, unexpectedly, to feel a little closer to the family members who had left Italy so many years before.

Of all the places we visited on our European vacation, Naples will always hold a special place in my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10