When we visited Tunisia in March 2014, the country was still going through a period of political transition following the 2011 revolution. There were ongoing concerns about security and unrest in some areas, which influenced how we chose to explore the country. Because this was a cruise port stop, we decided to visit through a ship-sponsored excursion rather than travel independently.
Arriving in Tunisia: First Impressions of La Goulette Port
Our first glimpse of Tunisia came as we arrived at the port of La Goulette, the cruise port serving the capital city of Tunis. After a rainy morning, we were greeted with an unexpected welcome — a beautiful rainbow stretching across the sky from our balcony.
When many people in the United States think of Africa, they often imagine safaris, wildlife, deserts, and wide-open landscapes. I realized that was exactly the picture I had in my mind — something you would see in a movie with jeeps crossing the savanna.
Tunisia introduced me to a completely different side of Africa.
Located along the Mediterranean coast of North Africa, Tunisia has a unique blend of Arab, Berber, Mediterranean, and European influences. Instead of wildlife reserves, we found ancient ruins, colorful markets, beautiful architecture, and cities filled with thousands of years of history.
From the moment we stepped off the ship, I knew this was going to be a memorable day.
We made a stop here, on our way to Carthage, to see this portion of these Roman Aqueducts.
The place was very clean with no trash to be seen anywhere.
I loved this picture of the vendors setting up for the day.
.jpg)
Final Thoughts: Is Tunisia Worth Visiting?
Looking back on our visit to Tunisia, I am so glad we decided to get off the ship and explore. We visited during a complicated time in the country’s history, and I understand why some travelers were hesitant. However, our experience was filled with history, beautiful scenery, fascinating culture, and welcoming people.
Tunisia was unlike any other stop on our Mediterranean cruise. It was not the Africa I had imagined from movies and documentaries, but something much more interesting — a place where ancient civilizations, Mediterranean influences, and North African culture come together.
From the incredible mosaics at the Bardo Museum, to the ancient ruins of Carthage, the winding streets of the Medina, and the blue-and-white beauty of Sidi Bou Said, Tunisia offered a little bit of everything for curious travelers.
One of my favorite parts of travel is discovering places that challenge my expectations, and Tunisia did exactly that. It reminded me that the world is much bigger and more diverse than the images we often have in our minds.
For anyone visiting Tunisia, especially for the first time, my advice is simple: do your research, check current travel information, choose experiences that fit your comfort level, and keep an open mind. Some of the most memorable travel experiences come from places that are a little outside your comfort zone.
Tunisia was a place that surprised me, inspired me, and gave me memories I will never forget.












.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment