October 20, 2015

Manarola, Italy: A Dream Come True in Cinque Terre

I have always been drawn to tropical destinations. Give me a beautiful beach, turquoise water, and a place where I can slow down and relax, and I am happy. So traveling to Europe was a completely different experience for me.

This trip was especially meaningful because it was a celebration for both my daughter and me. My daughter, who has a history and teaching degree, had always dreamed of traveling to Europe and seeing the places she had studied about for years. I had also finally completed the college degree that I started many years ago, and we both graduated last spring. What better way to celebrate than a 16-day adventure through Europe?

From the moment I arrived in Rome, I felt like I had stepped into a movie. I kept looking at my daughter and saying, "We are in Italy!" I repeated those words over and over throughout our trip because I honestly couldn't believe I was finally experiencing these places I had only seen in pictures.

That feeling became even stronger when we arrived in Cinque Terre.


I had seen countless photos of these beautiful villages built along the Italian coastline. The colorful buildings, the cliffs dropping into the blue Mediterranean Sea, and the narrow streets winding through the villages had been on my bucket list for years. 

When we stepped out of our vehicle and I looked down toward Manarola, I remember thinking, "I am really here."

I had my camera in hand, ready to capture every moment, although I knew there was no way my photographs could truly capture the feeling of standing in this incredible place.

Because we were on a cruise excursion schedule, our time in each village was limited. I wished I could have wandered through every little street, stopped at every viewpoint, and taken hundreds more photographs. Looking at the colorful houses stacked along the hillside, I remember thinking that I could stay here for years and still never capture everything I wanted to see.

That was one of the things I loved most about Italy. Every corner seemed to tell a story.


Manarola is one of the five villages that make up Cinque Terre along the Ligurian coast of Italy. The village sits dramatically on a rocky cliff above the sea, with colorful homes rising up the hillside. The village dates back many centuries, and the Church of San Lorenzo, built in 1338, is one of its historic landmarks.

Walking through Manarola felt like stepping into another time. The steep pathways, stone buildings, fishing boats, and views of the coastline created a scene that looked almost too beautiful to be real.

Visiting Cinque Terre had been at the very top of my bucket list. Standing there, taking this photograph after seeing so many pictures online and dreaming about someday visiting, was surreal.

I told my daughter that if we packed up and went home after only two days into our 16-day trip, I would still be happy because I had finally experienced this place.

Of course, we continued our adventure, and I am so thankful we did, but that moment in Manarola will always be one of my favorite travel memories.

One thing that surprised me about Italy was how different it felt from the tropical places I had always loved visiting. Hawaii, Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Mexico all have a peaceful, relaxing beauty that speaks to my soul. Italy was different. It was exciting, busy, historic, and full of life.

The narrow roads winding along cliffs, the bustling streets, and the energy of everyday Italian life were completely different from what I was used to. At times it felt overwhelming, but it was also fascinating. I loved experiencing a culture so different from my own.

You cannot visit Italy without being surrounded by history. Everywhere you look there are reminders of the generations who lived, worked, worshiped, and built their lives in these places. Standing among ancient ruins, walking through centuries-old villages, and looking up at the incredible details inside cathedrals are experiences that photographs simply cannot fully capture.


But photographs do something special. They allow us to hold onto those moments and remember exactly how we felt when we were there.

Exploring Manarola Today

If you are planning a visit to Manarola, give yourself more time than we had. While a quick stop can give you a glimpse of the village, staying longer allows you to slow down and truly experience it.



Take time to wander the streets, enjoy the views from the scenic overlooks, explore the harbor area, and simply sit and watch life happening around you. Cinque Terre is known for its hiking trails, vineyards, and beautiful coastal scenery, but some of the best moments come from just taking your time and enjoying the atmosphere.

Comfortable shoes are a must. The villages are built into the hills, and you will find plenty of steep streets and uneven pathways.


For me, Manarola was more than just a beautiful place I visited. It was a dream that finally became a reality.

It was a reminder that sometimes the places we imagine for years are even more special when we finally get there.

And yes, I still catch myself saying...

"We were in Italy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10