Packing for a week or more for a vacation in Europe using only a carry-on can be done!
My daughter and I spent 16 days in Europe without our luggage after the airline lost it on the trip over. Since then, I only travel with a carry-on. I don't want to take the chance of arriving at my destination without my luggage again!
![]() |
This is what I packed for our trip. Everything shown here went into my carry-on. My electronics went into the black bag, and I wore my bulkiest travel clothes on the flight. When we planned our trip, we knew we would be flying Ryanair once we got to Spain, and they had very strict—and very small—luggage requirements. At the time, you could have one free carry-on that was no larger than 21.6 × 15.74 × 7.87 inches, including the wheels and handles. So think child-size suitcase! When you're working with that little space, looking good and packing light have to go hand in hand. The trick is choosing pieces that mix and match so you can create several outfits without taking your entire closet with you. And don't be afraid to wash things along the way. You can wash a pair of jeans in the shower and hang them up to dry. The same goes for underwear and other small items. It may not sound glamorous, but when you're traveling with a tiny suitcase, you learn to make things work! And there is another advantage to packing light: you have an excuse to go shopping! Leave a little room in your suitcase for something special you find along the way. 2026 Update: Ryanair's Carry-On Size Has ChangedA quick update to this older post: When I originally wrote this, the Ryanair bag requirements were 21.6 × 15.74 × 7.87 inches, and that is the size bag I used for this trip. I was able to fit everything I needed for our European vacation into that bag, which is what inspired this post in the first place. Ryanair's baggage rules have changed since then. As of 2026, Ryanair's free small personal bag allowance is 40 × 30 × 20 cm (approximately 15.7 × 11.8 × 7.9 inches). The bag must fit underneath the seat in front of you. That's considerably smaller than the bag I used for this trip, so keep that in mind if you're using this post to plan a trip today. I'm leaving the original measurements and packing advice because they reflect the bag I actually used and how I managed to pack for our trip. Just be sure to check Ryanair's current baggage requirements before you travel, since airline policies can change. I hope this helps if you're planning a trip and trying to figure out how to fit everything you need into a small carry-on. Trust me—you really can do it! |

No comments:
Post a Comment