December 24, 2018




The last trip I took involved eight flights, and the trip before that, to Europe, involved seven. So, over the past few years, I have spent a lot of time making my way through international airports.

Of all the airports I have traveled through, London took the longest to get through—and it actually caused us to miss our flight.

And the reason?

A tiny little tube of antibiotic cream.

Yep. A tiny tube of cream that wasn't in my clear liquids bag. It was tucked away in my regular toiletry bag.

Seven airports hadn't had a problem with it.

One did.

And that one little tube of cream started a whole series of unfortunate events.

That experience taught me something I now take very seriously when I travel: make your liquids bag easy to understand and easy to pull out of your carry-on.

Because you never know when an airport security officer is going to take a closer look.

The 3-1-1 Rule

If you're traveling with a carry-on, the basic TSA rule for liquids, gels and aerosols is pretty simple:

3 — 1 — 1

  • 3.4 ounces (100 ml) or less per container
  • 1 quart-size, clear, zip-top bag
  • 1 bag per passenger

The containers themselves must be 3.4 ounces or smaller. Having a larger bottle that is only partially full doesn't meet the rule.

TSA also recommends keeping your liquids bag somewhere easily accessible in your carry-on because you may be asked to remove it during screening. Screening procedures can vary by airport and checkpoint, so I always pack mine where I can get to it quickly.

And remember, the "liquids" bag isn't just for liquids.

That's where things get a little confusing.

What Counts as a Liquid?

When you're packing for a trip, you probably think about things like shampoo, perfume and mouthwash.

But the rules also apply to many gels, creams, pastes and aerosols.

Some common examples include:

  • Shampoo and conditioner
  • Body wash
  • Lotion
  • Liquid foundation
  • Mascara
  • Lip gloss
  • Toothpaste
  • Gel deodorant
  • Hair gel
  • Sunscreen
  • Perfume
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Hairspray
  • Aerosol deodorant
  • Aerosol dry shampoo
  • Creams and ointments

This is one reason I like to go through my toiletries before I pack rather than simply grabbing everything from my bathroom and throwing it into my suitcase.

DON'T WAIT UNTIL SECURITY TO FIGURE IT OUT!

One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is waiting until they are standing in the security line to start dealing with their liquids.

That's when you're trying to dig through your carry-on, find a bag, figure out what belongs in it and decide what needs to come out.

It doesn't have to be that way.

I keep my travel-size toiletries together so that when it's time to pack, I already have most of what I need.

And I have learned to be especially careful about the things that don't immediately look like "liquids."

That little tube of antibiotic cream in London?

Exactly the kind of thing that's easy to overlook.

How Do You Get Everything Into One Little Bag?

Before you panic and decide there is no way you can get everything you need into a quart-size bag, take a look at what you're actually carrying.

You probably don't need as much as you think you do.

The first thing I do is go smaller.

Travel-size products are great, but there are often products that are even smaller than the traditional travel-size bottles.

Think samples.

Sample-size perfume, skincare products, makeup and other toiletries can be perfect for travel.

And if you have a product that doesn't come in a convenient size, you can often transfer a small amount into a properly labeled travel container.

A Few Ways to Save Space

Choose solid products whenever you can.

Instead of carrying liquid products, look for solid alternatives when they make sense for you.

Solid shampoo, conditioner, soap and other toiletries can eliminate items from your liquids bag altogether.

Use wipes when they're a practical alternative.

Makeup-removing wipes and other individually packaged wipes can be much easier to pack than bottles of liquid products.

Don't take the whole bottle.

If you are going away for five days, you probably don't need enough shampoo for five months.

Take only what you need.

Think about what you really use.

It is very easy to pack a product simply because you might need it.

I have learned that "just in case" is one of the fastest ways to fill up a quart bag.

My Favorite Travel Trick: Keep a Travel Stash

One thing that has made packing much easier for me is keeping a small collection of travel-size products together at home.

Whenever I get a sample-size product that I know I might use while traveling, I put it in my travel stash.

I keep travel-size containers, sample products and other small toiletries together instead of mixing them in with my everyday bathroom products.

Then, when it's time to pack for a trip, I pull out my travel stash and choose what I need.

It saves me from having to search through the bathroom for tiny bottles every time I travel.

It also keeps me from opening a brand-new full-size product when I only need a little bit for a trip.


Don't Assume It Will Be Fine Because It Was Fine Last Time

This is probably my biggest piece of advice.

Just because something made it through security at one airport doesn't mean it will necessarily make it through another.

That doesn't mean the rules are different every time. It means screening procedures can vary, and the TSA officer ultimately has to make the decision about whether an item is permitted through the checkpoint.

That's why I don't like taking chances.

If something belongs in my liquids bag, I put it in the liquids bag.

I don't want to be standing at the front of the security line trying to explain why my tube of cream really shouldn't count.

Been there.

Done that.

And I missed a flight because of it.

Make Your Liquids Bag Easy to Reach

I have watched people get to the front of the security line and then begin digging through their carry-on looking for their liquids.

Don't be that person.

I put my quart bag in an outside pocket or right near the top of my carry-on where I can reach it quickly.

If I need to remove it, I can.

If I don't, it takes only a few seconds to put it back.

The goal is to make the security process as easy as possible.

What About Medications?

Medications can have different rules and exceptions, so don't assume that every medication has to follow the same rules as your shampoo and perfume.

If you are traveling with prescription or medically necessary liquids, gels, creams or other medical items, check the current TSA guidance before your trip and allow yourself extra time at security.

I would much rather spend five minutes preparing before a trip than discover a problem when I'm standing in the security line.

A Few Simple Rules I Follow

After all of my years of traveling, these are the rules I follow:

Keep your liquids together.

Don't scatter them throughout your toiletry bag and carry-on.

Use the smallest containers that make sense.

You don't need a giant bottle of shampoo for a weekend trip.

Remember that creams, gels and aerosols count too.

Don't only look for things that pour.

Make your liquids bag easy to reach.

Don't bury it underneath your shoes and electronics.

Don't assume your experience at one airport will be the same at another.

Follow the current rules and be prepared for screening procedures to vary.

Check the rules before you travel.

Security requirements can change, and it's always better to check the current information than rely on something you read several years ago.

And Finally... Don't Forget the Little Things!

It's easy to remember your shampoo and toothpaste.

It's the little things that can sneak up on you.

Creams.

Ointments.

Lip gloss.

Mascara.

Gel deodorant.

Small tubes of medication.

That tiny tube of antibiotic cream that you forgot was sitting in your toiletry bag...

Trust me.

Put it in the bag.

Your goal is to get through security, not become the person holding up the line while an officer examines your toiletry bag.

I've learned my lesson.

Hopefully, you don't have to learn yours the hard way!


Travel rules can change. Always check the current TSA requirements before your trip. TSA's current 3-1-1 guidance states that liquids, gels and aerosols in carry-on baggage should generally be in containers of 3.4 ounces (100 ml) or less and fit in one quart-size clear plastic zip-top bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10