September 24, 2015

A Quick Stop in Pisa, Italy: Seeing the Leaning Tower

Livorno, Italy, was our first stop on our Mediterranean vacation. We had booked a day trip with AP Tours to Cinque Terre, with a quick stop in Pisa along the way. ([You can read about our Cinque Terre trip here.])

To be honest, Pisa wasn't really on my bucket list. But my daughter and I agreed that if we were going to be so close, we couldn't pass by Pisa without stopping to see the famous Leaning Tower.

I’m so glad we did!

I don't know exactly what I was expecting from this Tuscan city, but I was completely awestruck when we rounded the corner and I saw the Leaning Tower for the first time. 

The area surrounding the cathedral and tower, Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles), was beautiful. I only wish we had more time to explore. Unfortunately, our tour gave us about 30 minutes in Pisa, so we had to make the most of our short visit.

We quickly took our photos, admired the buildings, and then headed off to find an ATM.

Finding an ATM in Pisa

If you find yourself in Pisa and need an ATM, head down the street directly in front of the Leaning Tower. That's where we found one during our visit.

And while you're walking around, take a minute to look at the buildings.



Purchasing Tickets for the Leaning Tower of Pisa

We didn't have enough time during our tour to go inside the Leaning Tower, but if you have more time in Pisa, you can visit the tower.

I recommend checking the official ticketing information before your trip, especially if you're visiting during a busy travel season. Timed admission is used for the tower, and availability can fill up.

Check current Leaning Tower ticket information here.

One thing to keep in mind is that visiting the Leaning Tower isn't like simply walking into another attraction. There are restrictions on the number of visitors and you'll need to follow the site's rules regarding belongings and access.

The climb is also something to consider. There are approximately 294 steps to reach the top, so be prepared for a workout!

You'll also need to leave bags and other belongings in the designated cloakroom before entering the tower. Be sure to check the current rules when purchasing your ticket, since policies can change.



Did you notice all of the beautiful doors?

I loved finding these little details throughout the city. Even though our stop was short, there was so much character in the streets around the Piazza dei Miracoli.

And this beautiful fountain caught my eye.

Of course, one of my favorite photos from the entire trip is this picture of my daughter.

Tips for Visiting Pisa

Go early if you can.
We visited in early March, so Pisa wasn't particularly crowded when we were there. However, a large group of tour buses arrived around the time we were leaving. I can imagine how much busier it gets during the peak summer season.

Don't underestimate how much there is to see.
We only had 30 minutes, which was enough time to see the Leaning Tower and take some photos, but definitely not enough time to explore Pisa properly.

Consider making Pisa a stop rather than your entire day.
If you're traveling through Tuscany or arriving in Livorno on a cruise, Pisa can work well as part of a larger day trip. Combining it with another destination, such as Cinque Terre, can be a great way to see more of the area.

And yes, take the cliché photo!
You know the one—the photo where you're pretending to hold up the Leaning Tower. It's cheesy, but it's also part of the fun!


Would I Visit Pisa Again?

Absolutely.

Even though we only had a short time in Pisa, I'm so glad we stopped. Sometimes the places you don't expect to love end up being the ones that surprise you the most.

I went to Pisa thinking it would simply be a quick photo stop.

Instead, I left wishing we had more time.

And honestly, that's a pretty good reason to go back.


  • .



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10