This wasn't a planned stop, and I'm honestly not sure how we even ended up here—but I'm so glad we did.
Hovland is one of those unexpected places you stumble upon while traveling that ends up becoming one of your favorite memories. The scenery here is absolutely beautiful, and it felt like one of those places a photographer dreams of finding.
Of course, photographs can never completely capture the beauty of a place like this, but at least I have these pictures to remind me of this particular spot along Minnesota's North Shore.
A Piece of Hovland's History
The massive concrete dock dates back to 1905, when Hovland was a thriving economic hub. The dock served as a loading and unloading site for passenger and cargo ships traveling between Duluth, Canada, and destinations beyond.
Today, the dock is a quiet reminder of Hovland's past, surrounded by the beautiful scenery of Lake Superior.
Finding the Dock
You'll find a sign near the dock that gives a little information about the area's history.
It's definitely worth the stop, especially if you enjoy photography, history, or simply getting off the main road and discovering somewhere unexpected.

Driving from Duluth
Hovland is approximately 2½ hours from Duluth via Minnesota Highway 61 along the North Shore.
If you're traveling the North Shore, keep an eye out for this little piece of history. You may find yourself just as surprised—and just as glad—as I was that you stopped.

No comments:
Post a Comment