September 12, 2018

CARNIVAL FASCINATION & OLD SAN JUAN CRUISE PORT




Our last Caribbean cruise sailed out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Since we had never cruised from there before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

As it turned out, sailing from San Juan was a wonderful experience.

There is something especially exciting about beginning a Caribbean cruise surrounded by the colorful streets, historic forts, and tropical atmosphere of Puerto Rico. Unlike cruising from a mainland port, San Juan already feels like part of the vacation before you ever step foot on the ship.

While every cruise port has changed over the years, one of the things I loved most about sailing from San Juan was how easy it was to combine a cruise with time exploring Old San Juan.




Exploring San Juan Before Our Cruise

We flew into Puerto Rico the night before our cruise, which gave us most of the following morning to explore.

I highly recommend arriving early whenever possible, especially when sailing from a destination like San Juan. Instead of rushing from the airport straight onto the ship, we were able to spend time wandering through Old San Juan before boarding.

We explored the city until around 11:00 that morning and then headed toward the cruise terminal.



One of the things I loved about this experience was how close the port was to Old San Juan. After dropping off our luggage and boarding the ship, we had lunch and then headed back out to explore the city some more.

If you have the time, I highly recommend doing something similar. Being able to enjoy the ship, grab lunch, and then step back out into San Juan made embarkation day feel much more relaxed.

Starting a cruise in a beautiful Caribbean city is definitely one of the advantages of sailing from Puerto Rico.


THE ROOMS



My first impression of our cabin—and especially the bathroom—was how small it felt compared to other Carnival ships I had sailed on.

We had just returned from a cruise on Carnival Breeze, and the difference in size was immediately noticeable. I remember taking photos and sending them to friends because the room felt much smaller than what I had expected.

Of course, cruise cabins come in all shapes and sizes, and this was simply my impression based on the other Carnival ships I had experienced.


AROUND THE SHIP


Carnival Fascination had a personality all its own.

The ship featured a bold, classic Hollywood-inspired design, and that theme appeared throughout the ship. From the lounges to the elevators and public spaces, there was plenty of chrome, bright details, and theatrical flair.

One of my favorite spaces was the Passage to India Lounge. I loved the decor and thought it was one of the more interesting areas on the ship.




The Hollywood theme continued throughout the ship, even showing up in unexpected places like the elevators.





But my favorite spot on the entire ship was probably the library.

There was something about having a quiet, cozy space tucked away from the activity of the ship that I really enjoyed.




The ship also featured a dramatic six-story atrium surrounded by glass-sided elevators. The overall design was bold, flashy, and definitely a little over-the-top—but that was part of its charm.

Looking back at the photos now, Carnival Fascination feels like a reminder of a different era of cruising.



THE FOOD


Food was probably one of the areas where the ship fell a little short for me.

There were only a few quick-service options, including the pizza and deli stations toward the back of the ship. These areas often had long lines, and it wasn't unusual to wait 15 to 20 minutes for food.

The Lido buffet was good overall, but during our cruise, it sometimes seemed like certain items ran out quickly. There were two buffet sides, but most of the time only one line was open, which created additional waits.



There was also a separate area in the center of the room with salads, meats, and cheeses. This section was usually much less crowded, and I ended up eating quite a few salads during the cruise.

Breakfast was probably a better experience.

The self-serve breakfast buffet was usually busy, but food was set up in several different areas, including the space that was normally used for salads during lunch. That helped keep breakfast moving a little faster.

And, of course, this was also where you could find the ice cream!




FINAL THOUGHTS

If you look back at reviews of Carnival Fascination, you'll find plenty of mixed opinions.

For experienced cruisers who had sailed on larger and newer ships, Fascination may have felt small and somewhat dated. Compared to other Carnival ships I had sailed on, it definitely felt older, had fewer food options, and offered fewer activities and shows throughout the day.

It was also my least favorite ship out of the Carnival ships I had experienced at that point.

But here's the interesting thing:

It was still my favorite Caribbean cruise.

The ship may not have been my favorite, but the itinerary more than made up for it.

This cruise took us to St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Barbados, Antigua, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Visiting so many beautiful islands in one trip made this cruise incredibly memorable.

Our experience with the crew was mixed. The food service staff wasn't quite as warm and friendly as what I had experienced on other cruises, although they were still pleasant. Our cabin steward, however, was absolutely wonderful. He was attentive, helpful, and took excellent care of us throughout the cruise.

Looking back, this trip is a great reminder that sometimes the ship is only part of the experience.

Carnival Fascination may no longer be sailing, but I still have wonderful memories of boarding the ship in San Juan, exploring one beautiful Caribbean island after another, and experiencing one of my favorite cruise itineraries.

And honestly, sailing from Puerto Rico was one of the best parts.

If you're considering a Caribbean cruise that begins in San Juan, I would absolutely encourage you to spend a little extra time exploring the city before or after your cruise. Old San Juan is beautiful, colorful, historic, and the perfect way to begin a Caribbean adventure.

Sometimes it's fun to look back at the ships that are gone, the places we've visited, and the trips that gave us memories we'll never forget.

This was definitely one of those cruises.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10