February 27, 2022

Why I Love Birgu, Malta: Things to See, Do & Experience


Situated along Malta’s Grand Harbour, Birgu—also known as Vittoriosa—is one of those places that I think many visitors overlook. And honestly, I think they are missing out.

Most people visiting Malta naturally gravitate toward Valletta, especially when arriving by cruise ship. Valletta is beautiful and absolutely worth seeing, but it can become crowded with tourists during the day.

Birgu feels different.

I have stayed in both Birgu and neighboring Senglea, and I actually prefer them to Valletta when I want a quieter place to experience Malta. Here you can wander narrow streets, admire centuries-old buildings, watch boats move through the harbor, and sit along the waterfront without feeling like you are constantly surrounded by tour groups.

Birgu is historic, beautiful, and wonderfully atmospheric. It is also a great place to stay if you want to experience Malta after the day-trippers have gone home.

Here are some of my favorite things to see and do in Birgu.

Visit Fort St. Angelo

The beautiful apartment we rented in Birgu was located right next to Fort St. Angelo, with views across the harbor toward Valletta.

The fort has a fascinating history. Originally a medieval castle, it was rebuilt and strengthened by the Order of St. John during the 16th century. It played an important role during the Great Siege of Malta in 1565 and became the headquarters of the Order.

Even if you are not a history buff, it is hard to miss Fort St. Angelo when exploring Birgu. Its massive walls and position at the tip of the peninsula make it one of the defining sights of the city.

And if you are a Game of Thrones fan, you may recognize it from the series. Malta was used as a filming location for the show, and Fort St. Angelo was among the locations used in the production.


Explore the Old City Gates

Birgu is a fortified city, so part of the fun is simply walking around and discovering its old defensive walls and gates.

Three of the city’s original four gates are still standing, giving you a glimpse into what it must have been like to enter this heavily fortified city centuries ago.

Take your time here. Birgu is not a place I would rush through with a checklist. Some of my favorite moments came simply from walking around and seeing what was around the next corner.


Walk Along the Waterfront

If there is one thing I would definitely recommend doing in Birgu, it is spending some time along the waterfront.

This was where we spent much of our time during our stay.


The views across the Grand Harbour are beautiful, and the water is filled with everything from enormous yachts to traditional Maltese boats. The waterfront is especially pretty in the evening when the buildings begin to glow.

Across the inlet you can see Senglea, while another side of the peninsula looks toward Kalkara.

There is also something wonderfully relaxing about sitting near the water and watching the boats come and go. After spending a day sightseeing, it is a nice change of pace.


Visit the Churches

Malta is famous for its churches, so it should come as no surprise that Birgu has its share of beautiful historic churches.

The Collegiate Church of Saint Lawrence is particularly important to the history of Birgu. It served as the conventual church of the Knights of St. John for a period during the 16th century.


Collegiate Church of Saint Lawrence, Vittoriosa

The church was badly damaged during World War II and was later rebuilt.

As you explore Malta’s churches, remember that these are active places of worship. Some are open to visitors while others may have limited access, and modest clothing is appropriate when entering churches.


Enjoy the Local Cuisine

One of my favorite things about staying in a place like Birgu is being able to slow down and enjoy the local restaurant scene.


There are restaurants and cafés along the waterfront where you can sit outside, enjoy a meal, and watch life happening around the harbor.

Al fresco dining is especially enjoyable here. Instead of rushing from one attraction to another, grab a table, order something to eat, and enjoy the view.



Visit the Malta Maritime Museum

If you want to learn more about Malta’s long relationship with the sea, the Malta Maritime Museum is worth adding to your itinerary.



The museum is housed in the former Old Naval Bakery and explores Malta’s maritime history within the broader Mediterranean world. Its collection includes artifacts from different periods of Malta’s history and illustrates how important the sea has been to the island and its people.

This is a particularly fitting museum to visit when you are staying in a city surrounded by the Grand Harbour.

You can take a virtual tour of the museum here: https://heritagemalta.org/malta-maritime-museum/


Take a Water Taxi

One of my favorite ways to get around the Three Cities is by boat.

There is ferry service connecting Valletta with the Three Cities, but schedules and services can change, so I would check the current timetable rather than relying on an old schedule from a previous visit.

But if you have the choice, I recommend taking a traditional water taxi at least once.



To me, being on the water is part of the Malta experience.

The ride is usually short, but the views are wonderful. Seeing Birgu, Senglea, Valletta, and the surrounding harbor from the water gives you an entirely different perspective of these historic cities.



Wander the Charming Streets of Birgu

This may actually be my favorite thing to do in Birgu—and it does not cost anything.

Just walk.

The narrow streets are lined with beautiful sandstone buildings and colorful enclosed wooden balconies. The bright colors of the balconies stand out against the warm honey-colored stone and make wonderful photographs.


One of the things I especially appreciate about Birgu is that it feels much less hectic than Valletta.

If you enjoy photography, bring your camera and wander without a particular destination in mind. You never know what you will find around the next corner.

And unlike some of Malta’s busiest attractions, you may actually be able to take a photograph without a crowd of tourists standing in front of it.


Stay Until Sunset

Birgu is beautiful during the day, but I think it becomes even more magical as the sun begins to set.

The warm light reflects off the limestone buildings and dances across the harbor. As evening arrives, the lights begin to come on around the waterfront, creating beautiful reflections in the water.


This is one of the reasons I enjoy staying in Birgu rather than simply visiting for a few hours.

Once the cruise ships have emptied their passengers into Valletta and the day-trippers have headed back, Birgu settles into a completely different rhythm.

 

The streets become quieter. You can hear the water lapping against the harbor, and the whole city seems to slow down.

Of course, quiet does not mean boring. Walk a little farther along the waterfront and you may find a restaurant, a live band, or a little shop where you can grab a late-night snack.

Why I Would Stay in Birgu

There is nothing wrong with staying in Valletta. It is beautiful, historic, and convenient for seeing many of Malta’s major sights.

But if you want somewhere with a little less hustle and a lot of atmosphere, I would seriously consider Birgu.

I have stayed here, I have stayed in Senglea, and I have returned to Malta more than once. Each time, I find myself drawn back to the quieter side of the Grand Harbour.

Birgu gives you history, beautiful architecture, waterfront views, restaurants, boats, photography, and easy access to the other historic cities.

Most importantly, it gives you the chance to experience Malta at a slower pace.

And sometimes, that is exactly what I am looking for when I travel.









  


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10