If you are visiting New Orleans and looking for somewhere great to eat, put Domenica on your list.
When I first visited Domenica, I was definitely stepping outside my comfort zone. I am a country girl who was much more familiar with the kind of restaurants I grew up eating at, but one of my favorite things about traveling is trying something new. So I was willing to give it a try.
And I am glad I did.
Fried Squash Blossoms
I ordered the fried squash blossoms with goat cheese, tomatoes and aged balsamic.
I had grown squash in my garden for years, but I had never eaten the blossoms. In fact, I had never even heard of fried squash blossoms before this trip!
They were surprisingly good. I especially enjoyed the combination of the goat cheese and herbs. It was one of those dishes that made me realize how much there is to discover when you are willing to step outside your usual choices.
And as someone who grows squash every year, I definitely went home looking at those blossoms a little differently!
Squid Ink Tagliolini
My friend ordered the squid ink tagliolini with crab, butter and herbs.
Now, I do not like seafood. At all. I know that probably makes me weird to a lot of people, but I have never been a fan.
Still, I had to try a bite.
I mean, who can resist black pasta?
Well...apparently I can.
I cannot say that I enjoyed it because I could definitely taste the seafood, but if you love crab or seafood, this was certainly a dish worth trying. And honestly, I was glad I stepped outside my comfort zone enough to taste it.
Visiting Domenica Today
Domenica is still located at 123 Baronne Street in downtown New Orleans, inside the historic Roosevelt Hotel. The restaurant continues to serve Italian-inspired dishes, including house-made pasta, wood-fired pizza, appetizers and desserts.
The menu has changed since my visit, so the dishes pictured above should be considered part of my experience at the restaurant rather than the current menu. Interestingly, the squid ink tagliolini with blue crab and herbs is still offered, although the preparation and price may change over time.
oday, the menu includes everything from margherita pizza and meatballs with polenta to lasagna, rigatoni, roasted cauliflower and several other pasta and Italian dishes.
Domenica is open daily from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., and reservations are encouraged.
Domenica
123 Baronne Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112

.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment