I love going to the beach.
Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near one. Being landlocked in Arkansas means that when I get the urge to put my toes in the sand, I have to make a road trip out of it.
One of my favorite places to do just that is Biloxi, Mississippi.
Biloxi is one of the closest Gulf Coast beach destinations for me, which makes it an easy choice when I'm looking for a few days of sunshine, sand, seafood and a change of scenery.
I've been to Biloxi several times over the years, and every visit seems to give me another reason to come back.
So, if you're looking for a Gulf Coast getaway, here are a few reasons I think you should consider Biloxi.
The Beach
Let's start with the obvious reason: the beach!
Biloxi has a wide, white-sand beach along Beach Boulevard overlooking the Mississippi Sound. The beach is part of the 26-mile stretch of Mississippi coastline known for its broad sandy shoreline.
I love walking along the beach, especially when it's quiet.
And that's something I've experienced on many of my trips to Biloxi.
Because of hurricanes and the rebuilding that has taken place along the coast, there have been times when I've walked along long stretches of beach where there once stood hotels, restaurants and casinos.
Those empty stretches have a beauty all their own.
Over the years, though, I've watched more and more businesses return, and Biloxi has continued to rebuild and change.
That is one of the things that makes returning interesting—you never quite know what you'll find.
Take a Day Trip to Ship Island
One of my favorite things to do when I'm in Biloxi is take a trip out to Ship Island, which is part of Gulf Islands National Seashore.
And this is one of the reasons I think Biloxi makes such a great beach destination.
You can enjoy the mainland beach, but you can also make a completely different kind of beach day by getting out on the water.
Ship Island is about 12 miles off the Mississippi coast and is accessible only by boat. The island has beautiful beaches, a swimming area and historic Fort Massachusetts.
If you've never been, I highly recommend adding it to your Biloxi itinerary.
Just be sure to check the current ferry schedule before your trip because the service is seasonal and schedules can change.
Biloxi Is More Than a Beach
One of the things I like about Biloxi is that you don't have to spend your entire vacation sitting on the beach.
There are museums, historic sites, art, fishing, boating, casinos, restaurants and plenty of opportunities to get out on the water.
Biloxi Is a Great Place for Photographers
This is another reason I enjoy visiting.
You don't have to be a professional photographer to find interesting things to photograph in Biloxi.
Of course, there's the beach.
There are sunsets.
There are boats and historic buildings.
But sometimes the most interesting photographs are found in unexpected places.

For years, one of my favorite places to take pictures was this colorful graffiti wall.
The colors made such a fun backdrop for portraits.
These are some of my favorite photographs from one of my Biloxi trips.
Don't Forget the Seafood
You can't visit the Mississippi Gulf Coast without eating seafood!
The coastal food scene is another reason to put Biloxi on your list. You'll find everything from casual seafood restaurants to nicer places for a special dinner.
Think shrimp, oysters, crab, gumbo, fish and all those wonderful Gulf Coast flavors.
Even if you aren't a seafood lover, Biloxi and the surrounding Coastal Mississippi area offer plenty of other dining choices.

When I visit Biloxi, I have a favorite place to stay: the Courtyard Marriott.
What I particularly like is that it is easy for me to get to, I don't have to maneuver through a huge parking garage, and it gives me easy access to the beach.
That's one of my biggest pieces of advice when choosing a hotel for a beach trip:
Stay somewhere that's convenient for the things you actually want to do.
I don't need a huge resort experience. I want somewhere comfortable and easy to get in and out of so I can spend my time exploring.
If you're considering a particular hotel, I would check current reviews, rates and amenities before booking since hotels and their offerings can change over time.
Biloxi may not be the first beach destination that comes to mind, but it's one I keep returning to. Between the beaches, seafood, photography, history, and easy access to Ship Island, there's plenty to see and do.
If you're looking for a Gulf Coast getaway, give Biloxi a try. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I do!







.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment