June 12, 2015

Krause Springs: A Peaceful Hill Country Swimming Hole in Texas


If you're looking for a place to cool off and enjoy a quieter side of the Texas Hill Country, Krause Springs in Spicewood, Texas, is worth a visit.

Located about 30 miles west of Austin, Krause Springs is a privately owned, family-run property that has been welcoming visitors since 1955. The 115-acre property is home to 32 springs, along with swimming areas, gardens, picnic spaces, and camping. It is also listed on the National Registry of Historical Sites.

.  

What I liked most about Krause Springs was that it didn't feel like a typical busy summer recreation area. There were no loud boats or jet skis—just trees, cool spring water, and plenty of places to slow down and enjoy the surroundings.



Swimming at Krause Springs

The springs feed both a man-made swimming pool and a natural swimming area. The spring water stays around 68 degrees, making it especially refreshing during a hot Texas summer.

When I visited, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. After spending some time exploring the property and talking with the family, though, I could understand why people return here.



The natural swimming area was beautiful, although I have to admit that I was a little hesitant about getting into it. There appeared to be a film or layer on the surface of the water that I couldn't identify. It may have been pollen or something completely harmless, but it definitely made me pause!

Getting down to the natural pool also requires navigating some rocks, and I quickly discovered that they can be very slippery when wet. If you're not comfortable making your way down the rocks, there's another option.

 
The spring-fed swimming pool is much easier to access and gives you a beautiful place to enjoy the cool water without having to tackle the slippery rocks



Don't Miss the Gardens

One of my favorite surprises at Krause Springs was the garden in front of the family home. It's filled with plants and flowers, but what really caught my attention were the wind chimes.

And when I say wind chimes, I don't mean the little ones you can buy at your local store.

I mean WIND CHIMES.

Huge. Giant. Enormous.

There was a set hanging over a hammock, and when the breeze moved them, the sound was absolutely beautiful. It was such an unexpected and peaceful part of my visit that I couldn't resist taking a picture.


A Little Something Unexpected

Of course, I couldn't leave without taking a picture of this tree root.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it looked remarkably like a dog's head!

What do you see?


Camping at Krause Springs

If you want to turn your visit into an overnight getaway, Krause Springs also offers camping.

There are primitive camping areas as well as 24 RV sites with water and electricity. Guests have access to bathrooms and showers, although the showers use spring water and are not heated.

For someone looking for a simple Hill Country camping trip, this would be a nice place to add to the list.

Is Krause Springs Worth Visiting?

I would say yes.

Krause Springs isn't the place I'd choose if I were looking for rides, entertainment, or a long list of activities. That's actually part of its charm.

It's a place to swim, explore, have a picnic, listen to the wind chimes, and enjoy the Hill Country scenery.

When I first arrived, I wasn't sure what to expect. By the time I left, I was glad I had stopped.

If you're traveling through the Austin or Spicewood area and want somewhere peaceful to cool off, Krause Springs is worth considering.

What to Know Before You Go

A few things I would definitely keep in mind:

  • Bring water shoes or shoes with good traction. The rocks around the natural pool can be extremely slippery when wet. Krause Springs specifically recommends slip-proof footwear.
  • Bring water and snacks. The property recommends bringing refreshments and snacks, and glass containers are not allowed.
  • The natural pool isn't easily accessible. If you have mobility concerns, the natural swimming area may be difficult to reach. The upper pool is a much easier option.
  • Check before you go. Krause Springs is temporarily closed during part of the winter for property improvements and maintenance.
  • There is camping available. Primitive tent camping and RV sites are available, with 24 RV sites offering water and electricity.
  • There is free parking on site

Current Hours & Location

Krause Springs
424 County Road 404
Spicewood, Texas 78669

The property currently lists hours of 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., seven days a week, although seasonal closures can occur, so it's a good idea to check before making the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10