One of the most memorable stops on our European cruise was a place I had never heard of before the trip.
On the second day of our cruise, we docked in Monaco. My daughter had chosen to spend part of our day visiting Èze Village, France, and I'll admit that I didn't have much of an opinion about it.
I had done absolutely no research.
I simply trusted her and I'm so glad I did.
Traveling Through Europe With My Daughter
Let me back up for a minute, especially if this is the first post you've read about our European vacation.
My daughter is a history major, and she had dreamed of visiting Europe since she was a little girl. So when we began planning our trip, I let her choose most of the places we would explore.
There were only two places I really wanted to see: Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast. Everything else was largely her plan.
She spent weeks researching the countries we would visit and figuring out what we could realistically see during our time in each port. All I had to do was sit back, enjoy the adventure, and let her lead the way.
Looking back at all the places we visited, she did an amazing job.
Her dream is to someday lead college students through these countries so they can experience the cultures and history they spend so much time studying. She is also an English teacher and believes that there is something incredibly valuable about allowing students to actually see the places they read about in their studies.
And Èze was one of those places that made me understand exactly what she meant.

Discovering Èze Village
Èze is a medieval hilltop village on the French Riviera, located between Nice and Monaco. The village sits high above the Mediterranean on a rocky outcrop, with narrow lanes winding through centuries-old stone buildings.
Today, Èze is known for its medieval character, beautiful views, boutiques, art galleries, restaurants, and the famous Exotic Garden at the top of the village.
The hilltop village sits at about 1,407 feet above sea level, which explains those incredible views over the Mediterranean.
But what I remember most isn't a particular shop or restaurant, it was the feeling of walking through those little stone streets.
There are flowers and greenery tucked into corners, ancient stone walls, arched doorways, tiny passages, and stairways that seem to lead somewhere new around every corner.
It felt almost like walking through a fairy tale.
And because we visited in early March, the village was much quieter than I imagine it would be during the busy summer months. Some shops weren't open yet for the season, but honestly, that didn't bother me.
I was there with my camera and I was perfectly happy photographing the village.
The Biggest Surprise of Our Trip
Of the 16 days we spent in Europe, Èze wasn't the only place that stayed with me. The Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre were two places I had specifically hoped to see, and they were every bit as beautiful as I had imagined.
What surprised me was Èze.
Before this trip, I had never even heard of Èze Village. It wasn't on my list. I hadn't spent weeks looking at photographs or dreaming about walking its medieval streets. I only went because my daughter had researched it and thought it would be a good place to visit while we were in Monaco.
And somehow, it ended up right up there with Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast.
That was the biggest surprise of our entire trip.

What surprised me was Èze.
Before this trip, I had never even heard of Èze Village. It wasn't on my list. I hadn't spent weeks looking at photographs or dreaming about walking its medieval streets. I only went because my daughter had researched it and thought it would be a good place to visit while we were in Monaco.
And somehow, it ended up right up there with Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast.
That was the biggest surprise of our entire trip.

We arrived in Èze on a rainy March day, with my daughter holding an umbrella over me while I tried to take photographs. It certainly wasn't the picture-perfect French Riviera day you might imagine, but there was something about that little medieval village that completely captured me.
Maybe it was the winding stone streets, flowers tucked into ancient walls or maybe it was the view of the Mediterranean stretching out below us. Possibly it was simply the feeling of discovering a place I had never known existed.
Whatever it was, Èze made an impression on me. Today, if someone tells me they're planning a trip to the French Riviera and asks what places they shouldn't miss, Èze Village is one of the first places I recommend.
And that's something I never would have expected when we left home.
I went from never having heard of Èze to putting it right alongside Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast as one of the places I most recommend visiting.
Sometimes the best travel memories aren't the places you've been dreaming about for years. Sometimes they're the places you almost didn't know to look for.
.jpg)
Visiting Èze From Monaco
If you're visiting Èze as part of a cruise stop in Monaco, you'll want to plan your transportation carefully because Èze Village is not down at sea level.
The hilltop village is reached from the coast by road or by a steep walking route. Today (updated 2026), visitors coming from Nice can take Bus 82 directly to Èze Village. Another option is taking the train to Èze-sur-Mer and then continuing by Bus 83 or walking up the Nietzsche Path. The Nice Côte d'Azur Tourist Office currently lists Èze as about 5 miles from Monaco and about 7.5 miles from Nice.
If you're coming from a cruise ship in Monaco, I would allow plenty of time for transportation and for exploring the village itself. Remember that your cruise ship will have a scheduled departure time, and you don't want to spend your entire visit watching the clock.
.jpg)
My Tips for Visiting Èze Village
- Wear comfortable walking shoes. The village is steep, with stairs and uneven stone streets.
- Give yourself plenty of time. It's worth wandering instead of simply checking off the main sights.
- Bring your camera. There are beautiful views and photographs around almost every corner.
- Check current bus schedules before leaving Monaco or Nice. Transportation routes and schedules can change.
- Don't forget to look up. Some of the most beautiful details are above you—stone buildings, flowers, balconies, and old architecture.
- Consider visiting the Exotic Garden. The garden sits at the top of the village and offers spectacular Mediterranean views.
- If you're visiting from a cruise ship, watch the time. Give yourself a generous buffer for getting back to the ship.
- Traveling in the off-season can be very different from summer. Some businesses may have limited seasonal hours, but you'll likely experience a quieter side of the village.

Would I Go Back to Èze?
Absolutely.
In fact, Èze is one of those places where I feel like I didn't see enough.
Our visit was short, the weather was rainy, and I was trying to photograph the village while my daughter held an umbrella over my camera.
And yet it remains one of my favorite memories from our entire European adventure. Sometimes the places we dream about for years aren't necessarily the ones that stay with us.

.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment