Every morning of our Mediterranean cruise, I woke up excited to see what waited outside our balcony. It felt like Christmas morning every day—wondering what new city, coastline, or landmark would appear as we pulled into port.
I would grab my camera and rush back and forth to the balcony while trying to finish getting ready for the day. Multitasking between taking photos, doing my hair, and putting on makeup became part of the adventure. As we arrived in Valencia, Spain, I was immediately struck by the beauty of the port and the city beyond.
For our day in Valencia, we chose an excursion that combined two very different experiences: exploring the ancient city of Sagunto and traveling by boat through the underground river at the Caves of Saint Joseph. The excursion also gave us a chance to see more of the Valencia region as we traveled north from the port.
Valencia was a city I knew very little about before our visit. Located along Spain’s eastern coast on the Mediterranean Sea, it is a city where old-world charm blends with modern architecture. Known as the birthplace of paella, Valencia has a fascinating mix of historic neighborhoods, beautiful beaches, and futuristic landmarks.
As we traveled through Valencia, one of the first landmarks that caught our attention was the incredible City of Arts and Sciences. This futuristic complex looks almost like something from another world with its sweeping white structures, reflecting pools, and unique architecture.
The complex is dedicated to science, culture, and entertainment and includes attractions such as the Hemisfèric IMAX theater, the Príncipe Felipe Science Museum, the Oceanogràfic aquarium, and the Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía opera house. Even seeing it from the outside was impressive.

Although we only had a short time in Valencia, our drive through the city gave us a glimpse of everyday life. We passed busy streets, beautiful architecture, parks, and neighborhoods that showed a side of Spain beyond the typical tourist attractions.One thing I noticed while traveling through the Mediterranean is that food advertisements are everywhere. I spotted large signs advertising chocolates, pastries, and even tomato toast at McDonald's. Seeing familiar restaurants offer items adapted to local tastes was a reminder that food culture varies so much from country to country.
Sometimes the most memorable travel moments happen in ordinary places. A quick stop in a small grocery store gave us the chance to see the snacks locals buy and experience a tiny piece of everyday life in Spain.
Since we were hungry and it was already around two in the afternoon, we stopped at a small grocery store for a snack. I couldn't resist trying these York’eso sabor a ham & cheese Ruffles. They really did taste like ham and cheese, and I immediately wished we had them back home in the United States.
No comments:
Post a Comment