
I've always believed that experiences are worth more than things.
When I look back at the moments that have made me happiest, I rarely remember what I bought that year. I remember where I went, who I was with, what I saw, and the unexpected little moments that turned into stories I still tell today.
That got me thinking about a question I love to ask:
For me, the answers have always had something in common. They involve people I love, places I've explored, or something new that I experienced.
A few memories that immediately come to mind include the birth of my grandson and being able to photograph it, photographing bluebonnets in the Texas Hill Country, and a quick trip to Biloxi and Ship Island with friends.
Notice what isn't on that list.
Going out to eat. Buying a vehicle. New clothes. Jewelry. Shoes.
I've bought and enjoyed all of those things, but none of them compare to the memories I've made while traveling, exploring, photographing, and spending time with friends and family.
It's Not About Having More Money
One of the things I hear most often is, "I don't have any money. I can't afford to travel."
I understand that travel can be expensive, and I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone spend money they don't have just to take a trip.
For me, it's about making choices.
I don't spend a lot of money on things that aren't particularly important to me. I don't eat out frequently, I don't need a closet full of new clothes, and I'm perfectly happy skipping some of the things other people enjoy spending money on.
I'd rather put that money toward something I know I'll remember.
I'd rather explore a new place, take photographs, visit a historic site, walk through an ancient city, or share an adventure with family and friends.
Those are the things that stay with me.
Experiences Become Memories
One of my favorite things about travel is that the experience doesn't necessarily end when the trip is over.
Years later, I can look at a photograph and remember exactly where I was.
![]() |
I remember eating pastries in France with someone I had just met.
I remember eating fresh pizza in Pompeii.
I remember meeting students in Tunisia who were convinced we were American movie stars.
I remember exploring the Roman Colloseum and wondering what life must have been like nearly 2000 years go.
I remember sitting in the most amazing Airbnb, looking out over Valletta Harbour.
Those memories are worth far more to me than most of the things I've ever purchased.
Even something as simple as a day at the beach with friends can become a memory that I carry for years.
That's the beauty of experiences. You get to keep them long after the moment itself is over.
![]() |
Spend Your Money on What Matters to You
I'm not saying that material things are bad. We all need things, and there's nothing wrong with buying something that makes you happy.
And if dining at a wonderful restaurant is an experience that brings you joy, then go for it!
The point isn't that everyone should spend their money the way I do.
The point is that we all have to decide what is worth spending our money on.
For me, I'd rather spend my money exploring Europe than buying things I'll barely remember a year from now.
After years of traveling, I can honestly say that I haven't regretted choosing the experience.
The places I've visited, the people I've met, the photographs I've taken, and the adventures I've shared with family and friends have given me something that no shopping trip ever could.
Memories.
Which one will I still remember years from now?
For me, the answer is almost always the experience.
Because things come and go.
Memories stay with us.







No comments:
Post a Comment