
Sorrento was the last stop on our visit to the Amalfi Coast, and although we only had a short time to explore, it left me with some wonderful memories.
Our driver dropped our small group off in the middle of town, and we spent some time wandering around before stopping for lunch at a quaint little restaurant.
After spending time along the dramatic Amalfi Coast, Sorrento felt a little different. It was still beautiful, but there was more of a bustling town atmosphere. People were shopping, eating, visiting the cafes and going about their day.
We made our way toward Piazza Tasso, the large central square and one of the liveliest areas of Sorrento.
Exploring Sorrento
One of the things I remember most about Sorrento is how much the lemon seems to be part of the town's identity.
Lemons and citrus trees are everywhere, and Sorrento is especially known for its limoncello, the traditional Italian liqueur made with lemon peels, alcohol, water and sugar.
Even if you aren't interested in limoncello, you can't visit Sorrento without noticing the lemons.
They appear in shops, restaurants, souvenirs and food throughout the town.

And, of course, there was gelato.
Lots and lots of gelato.
I stopped to photograph this shop simply because I couldn't believe how many flavors were available. Looking back at the picture makes me wish I had taken the time to try more than one!
We also did some shopping while we were in town.
I found another Antica Sartoria store, a clothing shop I had already fallen in love with during our visit to Positano. I loved the colorful, flowing clothing, and this particular store was larger than the one we had visited earlier.
But what really caught my attention was the car inside the shop.
It was this beautiful creamy-yellow little car sitting right in the middle of the store.
Of course, I had to take a picture.
These are the kinds of things I remember about traveling—the unexpected details that make you stop, look twice and reach for your camera.
The Cigarette Machine
Another photograph I had to take was of this cigarette vending machine on the sidewalk.
I hadn't seen one of these since the 1970s and my daughter had never seen one at all.
It was one of those moments when I realized how many ordinary things can seem unusual when you're traveling somewhere different.
I also remember noticing how common smoking seemed to be during our travels through Europe. We saw ashtrays on restaurant tables and many people smoking while we were out exploring.
Looking Back at Sorrento
We didn't have nearly enough time in Sorrento.
There were shops we didn't get to explore, restaurants we didn't have time to try, and streets we never had the opportunity to wander down.
That's the challenge of traveling with a schedule. You see enough to fall in love with a place, but not enough to really know it.
Still, I'm glad we had those few hours.
I remember the lemons, the colorful shops, the gelato, our lunch, the busy streets and all those little details that made Sorrento feel different from anywhere I had been before.
And when I look back at these photographs, I realize that those ordinary moments are often the ones that bring a trip back to life.
Sorrento may have been our last stop along the Amalfi Coast, but it certainly wasn't a place I wanted to leave behind.



.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment