April 30, 2016

Visiting Vatican City



We were only in Rome for a short time, so we knew we had to make the most of every minute. One of the first places on our list was Vatican City.

If you are visiting Rome for the first time, I cannot imagine leaving without seeing the Vatican. Even if you are not sure what to expect, there is something incredibly special about standing in a place that you have seen in pictures and heard about for years.


The Vatican is actually its own country and is the smallest country in the world. It is surrounded by Rome, which makes the idea of being in one country and then stepping into another feel a little strange when you first realize it.


Getting Around Rome

Getting around Rome was an adventure all by itself.

Today there are several ways to get around the city, including public transportation, walking, taxis, and other options, so I am not going to give you specific directions here. Transportation changes over time, and I would rather you check current information before your trip than rely on something I used many years ago.

My advice is much simpler:

Give yourself plenty of time.

Rome is a big, busy city, and things do not always go exactly as planned. When you are trying to get somewhere at a certain time, allow yourself more time than you think you will need.

We learned this lesson the hard way during our trip. Even with maps and a plan, we had a few moments when getting from one place to another took much longer than expected.



Our Day at the Vatican

Once we arrived at Vatican City, I was completely fascinated by everything around me.

There is something difficult to describe about seeing these places in person.

You can look at photographs all day long, but standing there is different.

The buildings, the artwork, the architecture, the history — it all seemed almost too much to take in at once.


I found myself looking up, looking around, and trying to take it all in while also trying to make sure I was taking enough pictures.

Of course, back then I was always thinking about getting the perfect photograph. Looking back now, I realize that no camera could really capture the feeling of being there.

Everywhere I looked there was something beautiful or fascinating.

The details in the architecture were incredible, and knowing how old so much of what we were seeing was made it even more meaningful.




his was one of those moments when I had to remind myself:

I am really here.

I had traveled all the way from Arkansas to Rome and was now standing in Vatican City.

That still amazes me.

There were so many people around us, and there was so much to see that it could easily become overwhelming. But every now and then I would stop and just look.

That is one of the things I have learned about traveling. Sometimes you have to put the camera down for a minute and simply be where you are.




A Memory I Will Always Treasure

Looking through these photographs now brings back so many memories from that first trip to Rome.

At the time, I was simply trying to see as much as possible during the short time we had. I wanted to take pictures of everything because I knew I might never get another chance.

Thankfully, I was wrong about that part.

I have been back to Rome since this first trip, but there is something especially memorable about seeing a place for the first time. 


The Vatican was one of those places that left me feeling incredibly grateful.

I felt blessed to have the opportunity to stand there and see these amazing places with my own eyes.



Rome was chaotic, ancient, beautiful, crowded, fascinating, and completely different from anything I was used to at home.

And that was exactly what made it so memorable.

For someone from a small town in Arkansas, walking through Vatican City felt like stepping into another world.

It was an amazing experience, and one I will never forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10