May 7, 2016

VISITING THE ALAMO ~ San Antonio, Texas
























I took a few days off work to visit the Texas coast, and on the way home we decided to make a quick stop in San Antonio. Since we only had a short amount of time to spend in the city, we decided to visit two of San Antonio's most famous attractions—the Alamo and the River Walk.




Visiting the Alamo

Our first stop was the Alamo.

The Alamo is probably the most recognizable historic site in San Antonio, and it is one of those places I felt like I should see at least once. There isn't a huge amount to see, especially if you're making a quick visit, but the history behind it makes the stop worthwhile.

The Alamo began as a Spanish mission more than 300 years ago and later became a fortress. Of course, it is best known for the famous 1836 Battle of the Alamo, an important part of Texas history.

Today, visitors can walk through the historic buildings and grounds, learn about the people and events connected to the battle, and see living-history demonstrations and special events held throughout the year.

Even though our visit was fairly short, it was interesting to stand in a place that played such an important role in Texas history. It definitely gives you a different feeling than simply reading about the Battle of the Alamo in a book.

A Word About Parking

If you're driving into downtown San Antonio, parking can be one of the biggest headaches.

There are several parking lots and garages near the Alamo, but most charge a fee. We ended up paying $20 for about three hours at the parking area we used. One thing I wish I had known beforehand was that the parking area did not give change, so be prepared if you're paying with cash.

A Look Around the Alamo

Here are a few more photos from our visit.







One of my favorite pictures from the trip is this one of my beautiful daughter and grandson.


And, of course, no visit would be complete without taking a peek inside the gift shop!







From the Alamo to the River Walk

The River Walk was our next stop.

The area in front of the Alamo can be a little confusing if you've never been there before. You will need to cross the street in front of the Alamo to get to the River Walk.

This is the street area you'll need to cross:



We didn't have nearly enough time to explore everything San Antonio has to offer, but I'm glad we decided to make the stop. Even a short visit gave us a chance to see two of the city's most famous landmarks.

If I return to San Antonio, I'd definitely allow more time to explore the River Walk and some of the other historic areas around the city.



Planning Your Visit

The Alamo's official website is the best place to check for current hours, tours, special events, and other visitor information.

Hours:
Monday–Sunday, 9:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.
Closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Tours include:

  • Battlefield Tour
  • Audio Tour
  • VIP Tour
  • After Hours Tour

Because hours, tours, and admission information can change, I recommend checking the official website before your trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10