I know many of you will find this shocking, but I had never been to San Antonio, Texas!
I live near the Arkansas/Texas border and have explored quite a bit of Texas over the years, but somehow I had never made it to San Antonio.
I had also never traveled along the Texas Gulf Coast beyond Galveston, which is one of the reasons I chose the coast for my latest vacation.
A Stop in San Antonio
On our way home from Padre Island, my daughter and I decided to make a pit stop in San Antonio. Neither of us had ever seen the Alamo, and we figured we couldn't pass through San Antonio without stopping to see it.
After touring the Alamo, we headed over to the River Walk—and I'm so glad we did!
I loved it.
The River Walk was not quite what I expected. Some of the architecture reminded me of buildings I had seen in Italy and France, and I loved the way the river winds through the city with restaurants, shops, bridges, and walkways along the water.
Exploring the San Antonio River Walk
The San Antonio River Walk is a network of walkways along the San Antonio River, below street level in the downtown area. Along the River Walk you'll find restaurants, bars, shops, and plenty of places to stop and enjoy the scenery.
The River Walk also connects to several popular attractions, including the Alamo, Rivercenter Mall, and La Villita Historic Arts Village. Boat tours are another popular way to see the River Walk.
When we visited, it wasn't especially busy, which made it nice for strolling around with my grandson. We were able to take our time and enjoy the scenery without feeling like we were constantly fighting through a crowd.
There was one thing, however, that I wish I had known before we went.
The River Walk and Accessibility
If you're traveling with a stroller or using a wheelchair, you may want to do a little planning before visiting the River Walk.
There are areas with stairs, and not every part of the River Walk is easily accessible. At one point, we wanted to cross over to the other side of the river, but the only route we could find involved stairs.
Some very nice people actually helped us lift the stroller up the stairs.
We asked several people if they knew where we could find an elevator, but on more than one occasion we were told they didn't know where one was.
Then I spotted a gentleman in a wheelchair. He was able to point us in the right direction and finally helped us figure out how to get where we needed to go.
That experience made me realize that if you're visiting with a stroller or wheelchair, it would be a good idea to look at the accessibility information before you arrive rather than trying to figure it out once you're there.
I've included a map and accessibility information below. If you're planning a visit, you may want to save it or print it out ahead of time.
A Few Photos from Our Walk
This is one of the buildings that reminded me of Italy.
A Few Tips Before You Go
The River Walk is beautiful, but keep in mind that some of the walkways are quite narrow.
I kept looking at the water and thinking, Someone is going to step sideways and end up in the river!
It can be especially challenging when you're pushing a stroller or using a wheelchair because there isn't always a lot of room for people to pass.
My biggest suggestion is to check the location of the elevators and accessible routes before you go. It will save you a lot of frustration once you're there.
Even with that little challenge, I really enjoyed our time on the River Walk. I'm glad we decided to make the stop on our way home, and I would definitely go back to San Antonio. Next time, I'd like to have more time to explore the River Walk and some of the other areas of the city.
If you've never been to San Antonio, I'd definitely recommend adding the River Walk to your list!












No comments:
Post a Comment