August 17, 2016

Barcelona: Must-See Sights If You Only Have One Day


Barcelona is one of those cities where you could spend a week exploring and still have more to see. With its beautiful architecture, historic neighborhoods, museums, parks, beaches, and lively streets, there is something around almost every corner.

But what if you only have a day?

That was the situation on my first visit to Barcelona. I arrived by cruise ship and had roughly seven hours to explore the city before I had to return to the ship. Since then, I have returned to Barcelona several more times, and each visit has given me the opportunity to see a little more of this incredible city.

I originally wrote this post as a one-day guide, but after returning to Barcelona several times, I think it makes more sense to look at it as a collection of must-see sights to consider when your time is limited.

If you are visiting Barcelona on a cruise, spending only one day in the city, or simply trying to decide what deserves a spot on your itinerary, hopefully this list will help.

I have written separate posts about many of these places, so be sure to follow the links if you want to explore them in more detail.



Sagrada Família

Sagrada Família is at the top of almost every Barcelona must-see list, and for good reason.

Designed by renowned Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí, the Basilica de la Sagrada Família is unlike almost any other church you will see. Its towering exterior, unusual details, and incredible interior make it one of Barcelona's most recognizable landmarks.

You can walk around the outside of the basilica without a ticket, but you will need a ticket to go inside. If seeing the interior is important to you, I strongly recommend planning ahead and purchasing your tickets before your visit.

If you are arriving by cruise ship and have only a few hours in Barcelona, this is one of those places where you have to decide what matters most to you. You simply won't have time to see everything.

One thing to keep in mind if you are using the Barcelona sightseeing bus: the Sagrada Família is on a different route from many of the city's other major attractions. Depending on how much time you have, trying to complete both routes may not be practical.


Gothic Quarters ~ Barcelona, Spain

Barcelona Cathedral

Located in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, Barcelona Cathedral is another beautiful historic landmark worth seeing.

Even if you don't have time to tour the entire cathedral, take some time to walk around the surrounding streets and admire the architecture. This is one of the places where I think simply wandering and taking in your surroundings is part of the experience.

And don't rush through the Gothic Quarter just to check the cathedral off your list. Some of my favorite Barcelona memories have come from the streets and small plazas surrounding it.

Barcelona, Spain The Gothic Quarters

The Gothic Quarter

If I could choose only one area of Barcelona to explore, the Gothic Quarter would probably be my choice.

Sagrada Família may be Barcelona's most famous attraction, but the Gothic Quarter is where I really fell in love with the city.

The narrow medieval streets, historic buildings, small plazas, shops, churches, restaurants, and hidden corners make this an area where I could wander for hours. And each time I return, I seem to discover something I missed before.




Casa Batlló and Casa Amatller

Barcelona is filled with Gaudí's distinctive architecture, and the Passeig de Gràcia is one of the best places to see it.

Casa Batlló is one of the city's most recognizable buildings, with its colorful façade and wonderfully unusual details. Right next door is Casa Amatller, another beautiful example of Catalan Modernisme.

On one of my earlier visits, I didn't actually stop to tour these buildings. I drove past and managed to snap a photo, making a mental note that I wanted to come back and explore the area more carefully.

That is one of the nice things about returning to Barcelona. You don't have to see everything on the first visit.

If you have limited time, even a quick stop to admire the buildings from the outside can be worthwhile.



Park Güell

Another famous Gaudí creation is Park Güell, a public park and UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The colorful architecture and whimsical designs make this one of the most recognizable places in Barcelona. The area around the entrance is particularly memorable, with its unusual shapes, colorful tile work, and distinctive buildings.

There are both free and ticketed areas of the park, so be sure to check the current ticket information before your visit if you want to see the Monumental Zone.

If you have limited time, you'll need to decide whether Park Güell is worth adding to your itinerary. It is not located immediately next to the other central attractions, so getting there and back takes some planning.

For me, this is another attraction that is much easier to enjoy when you aren't trying to squeeze it into an already packed few hours.

 3

National Art Museum of Catalonia

The National Art Museum of Catalonia, or MNAC, sits high above the city at Montjuïc.

Even if you don't have time to explore the museum itself, I think the area is worth seeing. Getting there involves quite a few steps depending on where you begin, but the views from this part of Barcelona make the effort worthwhile.

On my earlier visit, we didn't go inside the museum. We walked up toward the entrance, took in the views, and continued on.

Sometimes when you're sightseeing with limited time, you have to decide which attractions deserve a full visit and which ones are worth seeing from the outside. This was one of those stops for me.

If you are interested in art and museums, however, you may want to allow considerably more time here.


Olympic Village

The Olympic Village isn't usually at the top of Barcelona's must-see lists, but I enjoyed stopping here.

I had never visited an Olympic Village before, so when our sightseeing bus stopped nearby, I couldn't resist getting off to look around.

We spent about an hour exploring the area and taking photos. Of course, an hour isn't enough time to see everything, but it was still a fun addition to our day.

If you are interested in the history of the Olympics, architecture, or simply want to see a different side of Barcelona, consider adding it to your itinerary if you have extra time.

It may not be one of Barcelona's biggest attractions, but sometimes the unexpected stops are the ones that end up in your favorite travel memories.


 Plaça de Catalunya, Barcelona

Plaça de Catalunya

You will find Plaça de Catalunya on just about every Barcelona sightseeing list.

Located in the center of the city, this large square connects several important parts of Barcelona and is a natural starting or stopping point when exploring the city.

My daughter especially loved this stop on our first visit. She was fascinated by all the pigeons and had a wonderful time feeding them, making it surprisingly difficult to convince her it was time to move on!

For me, Plaça de Catalunya is less about spending hours at the square itself and more about its location. It puts you within easy reach of many other attractions and is a great place to begin exploring central Barcelona.


La Rambla

La Rambla is probably one of the most famous streets in Barcelona.

The tree-lined boulevard runs through the center of the city, connecting Plaça de Catalunya with the area around the Christopher Columbus Monument at Port Vell.

Along the way, you'll find shops, cafés, restaurants, flower stalls, kiosks, street performers, and plenty of people.

It is busy, touristy, and definitely not a quiet Barcelona experience — but it is also one of those places that most first-time visitors want to see for themselves.

My advice is to walk it, take in the atmosphere, and then wander off onto some of the surrounding streets. Some of the most interesting parts of Barcelona are just a short walk away from the main tourist areas.





No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10