August 20, 2020

Visiting Park Güell in Barcelona: What I Learned During My Visit

Park Güell was one of those places in Barcelona that I had wanted to see for a long time.

I had already visited Barcelona twice before, but somehow Park Güell never made it onto my itinerary. There always seemed to be something else to see or somewhere else to go. So, on this trip, I decided that I was finally going to visit.

And I am glad I did.


Park Güell is one of Barcelona's most recognizable attractions and is part of the city's rich collection of architectural treasures. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recognized for the work of architect Antoni Gaudí.

Located in the hills above Barcelona, the park combines architecture, gardens, colorful tilework and some beautiful views of the city.



One thing I would definitely recommend if you are planning to visit Park Güell is to plan ahead.

The park is open throughout the year, but access to the main monumental area is regulated and tickets are sold for specific time slots. The current general admission price is €18, with reduced prices for children ages 7–12 and visitors over 65. Children under 7 can enter free, although they still need the appropriate ticket.


I would strongly recommend purchasing your ticket in advance rather than arriving and hoping to get one when you get there. Park Güell has a limited visitor capacity, and tickets are assigned to time slots. You have a 30-minute window after your scheduled entry time to enter.


Our Visit

When we arrived at Park Güell, the ticket lines were long.

And when I say long, I mean very, very long.

To make matters worse, the sky was looking pretty threatening. It appeared that rain could start at any moment, so we decided that rather than spending a large part of our visit standing in line, we would explore what we could and see how much of the park we could experience.

We were still able to see quite a bit.

Although we did not go inside the ticketed monumental area, there was plenty to explore around the park. And, of course, there were plenty of opportunities to take photographs.

This wasn't exactly how I had imagined my first visit to Park Güell would go, but sometimes that's the reality of traveling.

You make your plans, and then Barcelona has other plans!


What Can You See at Park Güell?

There is much more to Park Güell than the famous colorful mosaic staircase that you see in so many photographs of Barcelona.

The park is filled with interesting architectural details, pathways, stone structures, gardens and beautiful views.



The Monumental Zone is where you will find many of the iconic Gaudí features that make Park Güell so recognizable, including the famous dragon, the Hypostyle Room and the main terrace with its colorful mosaic bench.

We could see some of these areas from outside the restricted area, including the famous staircase.


Bring water and wear comfortable shoes. This probably goes without saying but you will be doing a lot of walking so make sure you are comfortable and stay hydrated. It was cool when we were there but in the heat of summer, you will need something to drink.


Getting to Park Güell

I usually use the Barcelona Bus Turístic when I visit Barcelona because I find it an easy way to get around the city and see many of the major attractions.

On our visit, we used the tourist bus to get to Park Güell.

One thing I learned is that the stop isn't right at the entrance to the park.



From the Bus Turístic stop, you have a walk of about 10 minutes to reach the park, and depending on the route you take, there can be an uphill section. The official Park Güell information recommends entering via Carretera del Carmel through Av. Pompeu Fabra when arriving by the tourist bus.

There are several other ways to get there as well. Metro Line 3 has stops at Lesseps and Vallcarca, although both involve about a 20-minute walk. Bus routes H6 and D40 are other options, with approximately a 10-minute walk from the Travessera de Dalt stop.


If you have mobility concerns, definitely research your route before you go.

Park Güell has steep areas, uneven paths and stairs, so getting around can be challenging for some visitors. The park does have recommended accessible routes and accessibility information, so it is worth checking the official information before your visit.



The staircase was one of the places I really wanted to see, so I was a little disappointed that we didn't have tickets to enter that area. You can see portions of it from outside the entrance, though, and I was still able to take some photographs.

If seeing Gaudí's famous work up close is the main reason for your visit, I would definitely purchase your ticket ahead of time.


 

Wear Comfortable Shoes

This is one of those travel tips that seems obvious until you are halfway through your day and your feet are killing you.

Wear comfortable shoes.

You will be doing quite a bit of walking, and there are slopes, stairs and uneven pathways throughout the park.

I would also bring water, especially if you are visiting during the warmer months.

Barcelona can get very hot in the summer, and being outdoors and walking uphill can make the heat feel even stronger.

We happened to visit when the weather was cooler, but I can easily imagine how much more tiring the walk would be on a hot summer afternoon.

Give Yourself Time to Explore

Don't rush your visit to Park Güell.

There is a lot to see, and even if you aren't particularly interested in architecture, the park itself is beautiful.

Take time to look at the details.

Gaudí's work is full of unusual shapes, colorful tilework and creative designs, and Park Güell is a place where you will probably find yourself stopping often to take photographs.

And don't forget to look around you.

Because of the park's location on the hillside, there are some wonderful views over Barcelona.

I would also recommend checking the weather before you go. We were watching the clouds during our visit and wondering if we were going to get caught in a downpour.

Fortunately, we were able to see quite a bit before the weather became a problem.


When Should You Visit Park Güell?

If you have flexibility in your schedule, I would try to visit earlier in the day.

Not only can an earlier visit help you avoid some of the busiest periods, but you will also have more time to explore afterward.

That said, I didn't arrive early in the morning as many travel websites recommend, and we still enjoyed our visit.

The important thing is to plan around your own itinerary.

If Park Güell is high on your Barcelona bucket list, don't make the mistake I made on my first two trips and keep putting it off!

My Tips for Visiting Park Güell

If you are planning your own visit, here are the things I would keep in mind:

  • Buy your Monumental Zone ticket in advance. Tickets are time-specific and visitor numbers are limited.
  • Don't rely on old information about free tourist admission. The free time periods are currently reserved for residents and Passi Verd users.
  • Wear comfortable shoes. There are hills, stairs and uneven surfaces.
  • Bring water, especially during the warmer months.
  • Allow plenty of time to explore rather than trying to squeeze Park Güell into a tight schedule.
  • Check transportation before you leave. There are several entrances and some routes involve a fairly steep walk.
  • If mobility is a concern, plan your entrance carefully. Park Güell provides information about accessible routes and recommends specific entrances for visitors with mobility difficulties.
  • Check the weather. Much of your visit is outdoors, and rain can certainly change your plans.
  • Take your time and look beyond the famous staircase. There are beautiful details throughout the park.

A Few Final Thoughts

I am glad I finally made Park Güell a priority during my third visit to Barcelona.

It wasn't a perfect visit. We arrived to long lines, the weather looked questionable, and we didn't get to enter the ticketed area.

But we still enjoyed walking around the park, seeing the architecture and taking photographs.

And honestly, that's part of traveling.

Not every day goes exactly according to plan. Sometimes you have to make the best of the time you have, and we did just that.

Now I have another reason to return to Barcelona.

Next time, I'll have my Park Güell ticket purchased ahead of time!

Planning your own visit? Be sure to check the official Park Güell website for the current ticket prices, opening hours, transportation information and visitor requirements before you go, since these details can change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10