June 20, 2023

The Barrakka Lift: Saving Your Legs in Valletta

One of the first things you quickly learn about Valletta is that this beautiful little city is not flat. There are hills, stairs, and plenty of walking, so when I discovered the Barrakka Panoramic Lift, I knew I wanted to give my legs a break.

The Barrakka Panoramic Lifts are built into the ditch beneath Valletta’s fortifications. They connect Lascaris Wharf at the Grand Harbour with the Upper Barrakka Gardens and the streets of Valletta above.



For visitors arriving by cruise ship, the lift is especially handy. Instead of climbing a long series of steps from the waterfront, you can ride up into the city and save your legs for exploring Valletta.

And trust me, there will be plenty of walking once you get there!

On my first visit to Malta, I remember there being someone selling tickets for the lift. When I returned in 2019, the system had changed and automated ticket machines had been installed.

The ride itself is quick, but it makes a big difference when you have already been walking all day—or when you have just stepped off a cruise ship and are ready to start exploring.



The cost is €1.  On my first visit to Malta, they had someone selling tickets to the lift but when I was there in 2019, they had put in automated machines.  



A little practical advice: If you are arriving at the Grand Harbour, look for the Barrakka Lift rather than automatically heading for the stairs. Your legs will thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10