September 5, 2024

Beer Can Island: A Quick Beach Stop on Longboat Key

If you search for Beer Can Island in Florida, you may be surprised to find that there are actually two places with that name. The Beer Can Island I’m talking about here is on Longboat Key, a barrier island just west of Sarasota.

We made a quick stop at Beer Can Island while we were staying on Anna Maria Island, and I’m glad we did. Sometimes the places you visit without a big plan end up being some of your favorite stops.

A Quick Stop That Was Worth It

Since we were visiting during the off season, finding a place to park was fairly easy. I understand that parking and access can be much more challenging during the busy summer months, so that is something to keep in mind if you're planning your own visit.

I loved the beach here. We weren't there for an entire day or planning a big beach excursion. It was simply a quick stop during our time on Anna Maria Island, but it turned out to be one of those places I was happy we took the time to see.

If you're in the area and looking for somewhere a little different to explore, I think Beer Can Island is worth putting on your list.

What I Loved About Beer Can Island

1. A Peaceful Beach

The biggest attraction for me was simply the beach itself. The setting was beautiful and much more relaxed than some of the area's more crowded beaches.

There is something about walking along a Florida beach without feeling like you have to hurry through the experience. We were able to slow down, take in the scenery and enjoy being there.

2. Beautiful Views

Being on the Gulf Coast, Beer Can Island has the kind of scenery that makes you want to stop and take a few pictures.

The water, shoreline and open sky create plenty of beautiful views, and I found myself looking for different angles to photograph.

3. A Great Place for Photography

If you enjoy photography like I do, this is a fun place to explore with a camera.

I spent quite a bit of time photographing the birds and trying different angles. The birds were surprisingly patient with me, which gave me plenty of opportunities to experiment with my shots.

For me, that's one of the best parts of visiting places like this. Even when we're only making a quick stop, I always seem to find something I want to photograph.

4. Fishing

Fishing is another activity associated with Beer Can Island and the surrounding waters. While fishing wasn't the reason we stopped, the location certainly lends itself to spending some quiet time along the water with a fishing rod.

Planning a Visit

Our visit was during the off season, which made parking fairly easy for us. If you're visiting during the summer or another busy period, I'd allow extra time for parking and access.

Location:
Island Park
Longboat Key, FL 34228

Phone: 941-742-5923

Because access, parking and other details can change over time, I'd recommend checking current information before making a special trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10