October 7, 2015

A Day in Cinque Terre: Exploring Italy's Colorful Coastal Villages

Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza & Monterosso al Mare

Traveling to Italy had been a dream of mine for years, and visiting Cinque Terre was at the very top of my list.

For a long time, I never really believed I would make it there. But after saving money, using travel miles, and doing a little planning, I finally found myself in Italy—and not just Italy. Our Mediterranean cruise gave us the opportunity to visit several incredible places, and one of the days I was most excited about was our stop in Livorno.

The challenge?

We only had one day.

So, if I was going to see Cinque Terre, I knew I needed a plan.

And looking back, I'm so glad I made the effort.


From Livorno to Cinque Terre

Our day began in Livorno, where we made a quick stop in Pisa before continuing toward Cinque Terre.  We didn't want to drive by Pisa and not see the Leaning Tower. 

We only had about 30 minutes, but that was enough time to get out, take photographs, walk around the square, and say that we had been there. It was a quick visit, but a memorable one.

From Pisa, we continued toward Cinque Terre.

Because we were traveling on a cruise ship, we had to be very aware of the time. A cruise-port excursion is different from staying in Cinque Terre for several days. You have to plan around your ship's departure time and leave yourself a comfortable margin for the return journey.

Why We Chose a Private Driver

There were seven of us traveling together, and rather than taking the ship's excursion, we pooled our money and hired a private driver.

At the time of our trip, this worked out to less than €100 per person, while the cruise-line excursion we were considering was considerably more expensive.

Of course, those prices were from our trip and should not be used as current pricing. Private drivers, tours, and cruise excursions change prices frequently.

What I would recommend today is comparing the cruise-line excursion with a reputable private tour or driver and looking carefully at the itinerary—not just the price.

Read the reviews.

And don't rely solely on reviews published on a tour company's own website. Look at independent travel sites and recent traveler experiences. Pay particular attention to comments from people who were traveling from a cruise ship, because getting back to the ship on time is the most important part of the day.


Our First Stop: Riomaggiore

Our driver dropped us near the top of the hill in Riomaggiore, the easternmost of the five Cinque Terre villages.

The first thing that struck me was how colorful everything was.

The houses seem to climb one on top of another along the steep hillside, with their brightly painted facades and green shutters overlooking the sea.

It was exactly the Italy I had imagined.

We were given a suggested itinerary and a train schedule, which made it possible to plan our day and keep moving.

Our goal was to see as much of Cinque Terre as possible before meeting our driver again in Monterosso.

And we did it.

Getting Around Cinque Terre

One of the best things about visiting Cinque Terre is that you don't need a car to get between the villages.

In fact, the train is one of the easiest ways to get around.

The railway connects all five villages:

  • Riomaggiore
  • Manarola
  • Corniglia
  • Vernazza
  • Monterosso al Mare

The National Park itself recommends the train as an ideal way to travel between the villages, with frequent service, particularly during the busier months.

The journey between neighboring villages is generally very short, although schedules and stopping patterns can vary.

A Note About Train Tickets

When we visited, we purchased paper tickets and had to validate them before boarding. That is still important when using a paper regional ticket. Trenitalia says paper regional tickets must be validated before departure. Electronic and digital regional tickets work differently and generally do not require the old-style validation.

Today, there are also Cinque Terre-specific ticket options.

For 2026, Trenitalia's Cinque Terre Express service operates from March 14 through November 1, with fares varying by tariff period.

The Cinque Terre National Park also offers a Cinque Terre Train Card, which includes regional train travel within the Cinque Terre area along with access to park trails and other services.

Because prices and schedules change, I recommend checking the current train schedule and ticket options before your trip. 

Cinque Terre Is More Than Five Pretty Villages

One of the things I didn't fully appreciate before visiting was that Cinque Terre isn't simply a collection of colorful seaside towns.

The area is part of Cinque Terre National Park and is also included in the UNESCO World Heritage property known as Portovenere, Cinque Terre, and the Islands of Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto.

UNESCO recognizes the area for its dramatic coastline, historic villages, terraced landscape, vineyards, stone walls, and the remarkable relationship between the people and the land over centuries. The site was added to the World Heritage List in 1997.

Once you see those steep hillsides covered with vineyards and stone terraces, you understand why. 

This landscape didn't happen by accident.

Generations of people worked incredibly difficult terrain to create the terraces that are such an important part of the character of Cinque Terre.

Our Day Ended in Monterosso

After working our way through the villages, we eventually made our way to Monterosso al Mare, where our driver was waiting for us.

Monterosso feels a little different from the other villages.

It has a larger beach area and a more traditional seaside-resort feel, while the other villages seem to cling more dramatically to the cliffs.

By the time we reached Monterosso, we were tired, but we were also thrilled with how much we had managed to see.

And then came the part every cruise passenger thinks about: getting back to the ship on time.

Thankfully, our driver was waiting for us, and we headed back toward Livorno with time to spare.

That made the day much less stressful.

What I Would Do Differently Today

If I were planning this excursion today, I would still visit Cinque Terre—but I would do a few things differently.

First, I would check the current train schedule before leaving the ship and have a backup plan.

Second, I would download or screenshot the train information before leaving the ship. Cell service isn't something I would want to depend on when I'm trying to catch a train on a tight schedule.

Third, I would check the National Park's current trail conditions before deciding to hike. The Park regularly updates trail conditions, and trails can be temporarily closed because of weather, maintenance, safety concerns, or heavy visitor traffic.

And finally, I would leave plenty of time to get back to Livorno.

When you're traveling independently from a cruise ship, the ship's departure time is the schedule that matters most.

Tips for Visiting Cinque Terre on a Cruise Excursion

1. Go with a plan

If you only have one day, don't arrive without knowing which villages you want to see.

We were able to visit four of the five villages because we stayed on schedule.

You can certainly be spontaneous, but having a general plan will help you make the most of your time.

2. Don't underestimate the hills

Cinque Terre is beautiful—but it is steep.

There are stairs, hills, uneven stone paths, and plenty of walking.

If you have mobility limitations, take that into consideration when planning your day. You don't have to hike between villages to enjoy Cinque Terre, but some of the most beautiful viewpoints do require walking uphill.

The National Park maintains a large network of trails, and current conditions should always be checked before setting out.

3. Wear comfortable shoes

This is not the place for cute shoes that you can't walk in.

Wear comfortable walking shoes with good traction.

Your feet will thank you.

4. Check the weather

We visited on March 2, and we were incredibly lucky.

The weather was mild, the skies were beautiful, and there were very few people around.

We started the day wearing light jackets, but eventually had to take them off because it warmed up.

March was perfect for us, but weather along the Ligurian coast can be unpredictable. If you're traveling outside the summer months, bring layers and be prepared for changing conditions.

5. Summer can be very busy

Our March visit was nothing like what you may experience during the busiest summer months.

Cinque Terre is enormously popular, and crowd levels can make a big difference in how quickly you can move through the villages.

If you're traveling during a busy period, build extra time into your itinerary.

The National Park also has measures in place to manage visitor flows and can impose temporary restrictions or trail changes when necessary.

6. Consider the train

If you're visiting independently, the train is one of the easiest ways to move between the five villages.

The Park specifically recommends the railway as a convenient way to connect the villages.

For 2026, the Cinque Terre Express operates seasonally, and the National Park also offers Train Cards that combine rail travel with park services.

7. Check the trails before hiking

If hiking is part of your plan, don't assume a trail is open simply because you've seen it mentioned in an older travel article.

Trail conditions can change.

The National Park maintains an online trail-status system, so check it shortly before your visit.

8. You don't have to spend a fortune

One thing I loved about our day was that we didn't feel like we had to spend a lot of money once we arrived.

There were places to buy food and drinks, and our lunch was inexpensive.

My daughter and I spent around €20 on lunch and a soda during our visit.

Of course, prices have changed considerably since then, but you can still make choices that fit your budget.

9. Watch some videos before you go

This is something I wish I had done before our trip.

I had looked at photographs, but I didn't really understand the layout and steepness of Cinque Terre until I was there.

Today, I would watch videos made by independent travelers—not just promotional videos from tour companies.

Seeing the stairs, hills, train stations, walking distances, and viewpoints beforehand can make it much easier to decide what you realistically want to accomplish in one day.

Would I Do It Again?

Absolutely.

In fact, I would love to return to Cinque Terre someday and stay longer.

A cruise excursion gave me a wonderful introduction to the area, but one day is only enough to get a taste of it.

There are trails I didn't hike, viewpoints I didn't see, restaurants I didn't try, and villages I barely had time to explore.

That's the funny thing about travel. Sometimes you visit a place for just a few hours and somehow it stays with you for years.

Cinque Terre was one of those places for me.

I had dreamed about seeing those colorful villages along the Italian coast for years, and somehow, on a Mediterranean cruise, I finally got there.

And even after all these years, I can still remember standing there and thinking:

I can't believe I'm actually in Cinque Terre.






No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10