I mentioned in an earlier post how I would wake up every morning and run to the balcony to see what our next port looked like. Can you blame me?
I loved watching the sunrise as we pulled into each new port, camera in hand, taking pictures of what seemed like the most beautiful sunrises I had ever seen.
To be honest, I am not a morning person. A sunrise is usually something that happens while I am still asleep or while I am getting ready for work. But waking up in a different country every morning will change you. I did not want to miss one second of this vacation by sleeping. I wanted to take in every sunrise and sunset and simply enjoy the beauty of being somewhere so different from home.
And one of those mornings, we woke up in Cagliari, Sardinia.
Before this trip, I honestly didn't know much about Sardinia or exactly where it was. It is an Italian island in the Mediterranean Sea, with Cagliari as its capital city. Once we arrived, I couldn't wait to get off the ship and see what this new place had to offer.
Cagliari immediately felt like the kind of place I had hoped to find on this trip. The older neighborhoods were full of narrow streets, weathered buildings, colorful doors, flowers spilling from windows, and the everyday details of life that made wandering around with a camera so much fun.
One of my favorite things to photograph when traveling is old doors. So, of course, I had to add another one to my collection.
We wandered through the streets and came across another pastry shop.
Of course, we had to go inside and purchase something. It would have been rude not to, right?
After purchasing our pastries and drinks, we crossed the road and sat on the steps of this beautiful church, the Church of St. Anne, or Chiesa di Sant'Anna.
The church has quite a history. Construction began in the late 1700s, although it took many years before the church was completed. It was also severely damaged during World War II and reopened in 1951.
The Church of St. Anne is a beautiful example of Baroque architecture, and its twin steeples are a familiar part of Cagliari's skyline.
But honestly, I was not thinking much about architecture or history at that moment.
I was sitting in Italy, eating a pastry.
That was enough for me.
I also had to try this Lemon Fanta since it was not something I could get back home. Looking back, I probably should have waited until I was finished eating something sweet before taking my first sip.
Because this was my reaction when I tried it. Notice that half of my pastry is missing. That means I had already eaten quite a bit of sugar before I tried the Lemon Fanta.
Let's just say it was a little sour!
My wiser daughter chose Coca Cola.
I forgot to take pictures before I dug into these delicious pastries.
These buildings surrounded the church, and I loved seeing all of the flowers spilling from the windows. It was the first of March, and back home, we certainly didn't have beautiful window boxes blooming like this yet
Like many of the cities we visited, Cagliari had narrow, winding streets with laundry hanging from the windows. These are the little details that made walking through the older parts of these cities so much fun.
And did you notice the man standing in the window wearing the blue-and-white striped shirt?
I did not notice him when I took the picture.
I discovered him later when I came home and started going through all of my photographs.
I love finding little things like that in my travel pictures. Sometimes you see things in a photograph that you completely missed while you were there.
And that is one of the things I love most about traveling—there always seems to be something new to discover, even after you have already come home.
No comments:
Post a Comment