January 20, 2016

Inside P. Allen Smith’s Home: A Tour of Moss Mountain Farm


Some places are beautiful in photographs, but even more impressive when you have the opportunity to see them in person. Moss Mountain Farm, the Arkansas home of garden designer and television host P. Allen Smith, was definitely one of those places for me.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

In 2015, I had the privilege of joining a group of Arkansas Women Bloggers for Farm2Home at Moss Mountain Farm. During our visit, we toured the gardens, explored the property, and stepped inside P. Allen Smith’s beautiful home.

And yes, I took a lot of photos.

I originally thought I should apologize for sharing so many, but looking back, I’m glad I documented all of those little details. The house was filled with color, antiques, comfortable furnishings, artwork, and decorating ideas everywhere I looked.

If you'd like to see more from my visit, you can also read my Moss Mountain Farm Garden Tour and my post about our Farm2Home experience at Moss Mountain Farm.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

Stepping Inside Moss Mountain Farm

The entryway immediately caught my attention.

I loved the colors, the artwork, and the way everything felt collected rather than overly decorated. The house was elegant, but it also felt warm and comfortable—the kind of place where you wanted to slow down and notice all the details. 

One thing I especially loved throughout the house was the use of color. Instead of relying entirely on neutrals, the rooms included rich wall colors, patterned fabrics, traditional furniture, artwork, and antiques.


The Living Areas

The main living area opens toward the kitchen, creating a comfortable flow between the rooms.

There were interesting details everywhere—from furniture and fabrics to artwork and accessories. It felt polished without feeling untouchable, which isn't always easy to accomplish in a home this beautiful.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

The Kitchen

And then there was the kitchen.

Isn't this amazing?

The kitchen had the same inviting character as the rest of the house. Rather than feeling like a stark, modern show kitchen, it blended beautifully with the traditional style of the home.


Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

I could have spent quite a while just studying all of the details in this room.


Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

The Sleeping Porch

Of all the spaces we toured, the sleeping porch may have been one of my favorites.



There is something wonderfully Southern about a screened sleeping porch, especially one overlooking such a beautiful landscape.

Just imagine settling into one of these beds with the breeze coming through the screens.

And then there was the view.


The porch looks out across the surrounding countryside toward the Arkansas River. From one of those beds, this would be your view.

I think I could get used to that.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith
Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith
Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

And Then There Was This Tub...

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

As if the sleeping porch weren't wonderful enough, there was also this tub.

Seriously, I could see myself soaking here every evening—even in winter.

With the porch, the view, and that tub, I'm not sure I would ever make it back inside the house.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

The Master Bedroom

The master bedroom continued the traditional, comfortable style found throughout the home.

I especially loved the wall color.

The rich color gave the room so much personality and made the furnishings stand out beautifully.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

The Master Bathroom

If I ever managed to leave the tub on the sleeping porch, you would probably find me here.

The master bathroom was another beautiful space filled with classic details.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith
It felt elegant without being overly formal—very much in keeping with the rest of the house.

The Guest Bedroom

The guest bedroom was equally charming, with traditional furnishings and the layered, collected look that appeared throughout the home.


Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

I love rooms that feel as though they evolved over time rather than being purchased all at once, and that was one of my favorite things about this house.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith


The Third-Floor Kids' Room

And then we made our way to one of the most playful spaces in the house.

What kid wouldn't love this room?

After seeing so many sophisticated spaces downstairs, the third-floor children's room was such a fun surprise. The bright colors and playful atmosphere gave it an entirely different personality.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

It looked like exactly the kind of place where kids could actually relax and have fun.

Home Tour ~ P Allen Smith

A Home Filled With Inspiration

Looking back at these photographs from my 2015 visit, what stands out most isn't one particular room or piece of furniture. It's how comfortable the entire house felt.

Moss Mountain Farm is certainly beautiful, but the home didn't feel like a museum. The mix of antiques, artwork, color, traditional furniture, and personal touches made the rooms feel lived-in and welcoming.

And I still wouldn't mind having that sleeping porch.

If you're interested in seeing more from my day at Moss Mountain Farm, be sure to visit my Moss Mountain Farm Garden Tour and my Farm2Home at Moss Mountain Farm post.



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10