May 15, 2016

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS ~ RIVERWALK


 I know many of you will find this shocking but I have never been to San Antonio, Texas.  I do live near the Arkansas / Texas border and have explored quite a bit of Texas but somehow just never made it to San Antonio.

I had also never explored the Texas gulf coast past Galveston which is why I chose that destination for my latest vacation.




Headed back home from Padre Island, my daughter and I decided to make a pit stop in San Antonio.  We had never seen the Alamo and thought that we couldn't pass by without checking it out.  


After our tour of the Alamo, we headed to the Riverwalk and I am so glad we did.  I loved it ! Some of the architecture  reminded me of  buildings in Italy and France.    

The Riverwalk is a network of walkways along the San Antonio River below the Downtown area.  The entire path is filled with shop, bars, and amazing restaurants.  It connects to top tourist attractions including the Alamo, Rivercenter Mall, and La Villita Historic Arts Village.  There are also boat tours available for around $10.

                
It's wasn't super busy when we were there so we were able to stroll around with my grandson fairly easy.  One issue of going with a stroller or if you are in a wheelchair is that there are not many places that are accessible.  

We wanted to cross over the river and some nice people helped us lift the stroller up the stairs.  We asked several people for the location of an elevator and was told on numerous occasion that they didn't know of one.  

I finally spotted a gentleman in a wheelchair and he gave us directions. 
I am including this map of the Riverwalk with a link showing places that are handicap / stroller accessible so you can print it out ahead of time.

River Walk Accessibility Info



This is one of the buildings that reminded me of Italy.








Of course, Heather had to stand under the Coyote Ugly Saloon sign.  



If you would like more information about the Riverwalk,  you can check out their website HERE.


Tips

The walkways are narrow.  I kept waiting for someone to side step and fall into the water.  It is especially narrow if you are in a wheelchair or trying to push a stroller. 


I suggest checking out where the elevators are located before you get there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10