December 24, 2018

HOW TO PACK MORE INTO YOUR QUART BAG


The last trip I took consisted of eight flights and the trip before that to Europe consisted of seven flights so I have been through a lot of international airports in the last couple of years.  Of all of the airports I have traveled through, I think London took the longest to get through making us miss our flight and all because of a small tube of antibiotic cream.  


Yep, a tiny little tube of cream that was not in my Ziploc bag but in my regular toiletry kit.  Seven airports didn't have a problem with this but one did and that is all that it took to create a series of unfortunate events.


The biggest issue that I see with people trying to get through the dreaded security line is dealing with their bag of liquids. They either have them in the wrong size (using a gallon bag will not work even if it only has a few things in it) or they have them in a bag that is not clear or see-through.  



IT'S GOING TO BE ONE OF THOSE DAYS!

You will see tons of bags on the internet that say they are great alternatives to the quart bag.  I'm sure this is true but let me also say that I have seen many people unable to easily pass through security.    

You are at the mercy of the security staff and sometimes they are going to be having a bad day.  This means that the cute little bag that should have worked or has always worked may not work for that person.  I have seen this happen. I just pull my quart bag out and run it through the scanner and place it back in my toiletry bag once I'm through.   

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint!



Before you panic and say that you just can't get everything in a bag that small, look over these tips.


Use travel size everything and then go smaller!  Yep, there are items that are smaller than travel size like sample perfume, sample makeup, sample anything. 


Pick up some contact lens cases and fill them with liquid foundation, Vaseline, makeup primer, or anything that doesn't come in travel size.  


Holiday Products
If you need to carry essential oils, use the tiny sample bottles.  

For extra space in your quart bag, use the quart ziploc bags that stand up. This gives you extra space at the bottom while still abiding by the quart bag rule.


Think about what you can substitute for a liquid........



  • Instead of carrying liquid make up remover, get the towelettes. The same goes for hand sanitizer.  I have never had a problem with the individual towelettes not being in my quart bag.  
  • Instead of  aerosol dry shampoo, make your own.  I use a mixture of corn starch and cocoa powder and put it in a small contain.  No liquid - No aerosol- No problem.  It can now be placed in your suitcase instead of your quart bag. I use this everyday, not just for travel!




All of this will easily fit into a quart bag.

I'm not suggesting you go out and spend a lot of money to purchase travel size products.  Refill old bottles, purchase small cheap clear bottles, or you can subscribe to the Walmart Beauty Box or Ipsy

I do not get any compensation for mentioning these products.  I enjoy trying the new products at a good price and it's just a bonus that works out great for traveling.




Here is my latest Walmart Box.  You can see that it has plenty of travel size-products.  Ipsy will send you sample size makeup and facial care products.  




I take the items from the boxes and place in them in a container labeled TRAVEL.  When I get ready to pack my bags, I simply pull my tub out and place my items in my quart bag.

When you think about the "liquids" that go into your baggie, you usually think of things like mouthwash, perfume, and liquid makeup.  We don't think about gels and aerosols but there are rules about all of the products.


Check out the rules below.......


General Rules

When packing fluids in carry-on luggage, use containers with a volume of 3.4 oz. or less. All fluid containers must fit within a single clear plastic bag with a volume of one quart and with a zip-style closure. You will need to remove these bags and place them in a tub where you will pass them through security screening devices. The Transportation Security Administration has devised the slogan "3-1-1" to remind passengers of the basic requirements: they may carry 3 oz. (technically 3.4 oz.) per container in one bag with a volume of one quart.

Image result for 311 rule


Gels
For the purposes of airplane security, gels are considered a fluid and must follow the 3-1-1 rule. While TSA does not issue a set list of gel, common items include many gelatinous cosmetics and beauty products -- for example, styling gel, gel toothpaste and gel deodorant.  Explicit exceptions to the ruling on gels include gel medications, such as petroleum jelly used for medical purposes and prosthetic devices including prosthetic breasts and bras.


Liquids

Liquids are typically easier to identify than gels or aerosols. Common liquids that must follow the carry-on ruling include perfume, shampoo, body wash, liquid makeup, and hand sanitizer. Exceptions to the rule include breast milk and juice for babies or small children, medications, saline solution for medical purposes, beverages for passengers with a disabilities or medical conditions.

Aerosols

Aside from liquids and gels, aerosols are considered fluids, and as such, you must pack them according to the 3-1-1 rule if you intend to carry them on the plane with you. Typical aerosols includes items such as hair spray, spray deodorants,  and dry shampoo. Medication in aerosol form is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10