I have not traveled extensively compared with some people, but for an old girl from a small town in Arkansas, I have managed to make it to 29 countries in the last five years.
And if there is one thing my travels have taught me, it is that it is never too late to get out and see the world.
I love warm beaches, and I will always have a soft spot for the Caribbean. One of my favorite Caribbean vacations was a cruise from Puerto Rico.
I have also been very vocal about my love for Italy. Give me the Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, or a little fishing village like Cefalù in Sicily, and I am a happy traveler.
But there is another little island that has completely captured my heart.
It sits in the Mediterranean Sea, between Sicily and the North African coast, and I would happily return year after year.
A LITTLE ABOUT MALTA
Malta is a tiny country with a remarkably big history.
Over the centuries, the islands have been influenced and ruled by Romans, Arabs, the Knights of St. John, the French, and the British. Everywhere you go, you see reminders of those different periods—from massive fortifications and ancient temples to beautiful churches and narrow streets made for wandering.
Today, Malta has three UNESCO World Heritage sites, including the city of Valletta.
That is one of the things I love about Malta.
You can be standing beside the Mediterranean Sea one minute and looking at something thousands of years old the next.

DID YOU KNOW MALTA IS A MOVIE STAR?
A lot of movies and television shows have been filmed here.
Malta has been used as a backdrop for everything from ancient Rome to fictional islands and modern-day locations. And some of the productions filmed here are movies you have probably heard of.
You may recognize Malta in Gladiator, Troy, Captain Phillips, World War Z, Assassin's Creed, Munich, 13 Hours, By the Sea, Napoleon, and Gladiator II. Parts of Game of Thrones were also filmed on the island.
And the Jurassic Park franchise has had a couple of Maltese appearances. Jurassic World Dominion used several locations in Malta, including Valletta, and more recently, Jurassic World: Rebirth was filmed partly at Malta Film Studios and in the Mediterranean.
And then there is Popeye.
The 1980 movie starring Robin Williams was filmed in Malta, and the colorful movie set was left behind after filming. Today, Popeye Village is a popular attraction where you can walk through the original movie set and enjoy the beautiful turquoise water surrounding it.
I think there is something pretty fun about visiting a place you have seen on a movie screen and suddenly realizing, “I have actually been here!”

VALLETTA
Of all the places I have visited in Malta, Valletta is probably the one that stole the biggest piece of my heart.
The capital is small enough to explore on foot, but there is something interesting around practically every corner.
The city sits on a peninsula surrounded by water, with massive fortifications and beautiful honey-colored limestone buildings. Valletta is part historic city, part open-air museum, and part place where you can simply wander around and enjoy being there.
And that is exactly what I like to do.
I don't always need a packed itinerary.
Sometimes I just want to walk.

MY FAVORITE PLACE IN VALLETTA
If you ask me where I would go first in Valletta, my answer is easy:
The Barrakka Gardens.
I love these gardens, but it is the view that really gets me.
From the Upper Barrakka Gardens, you can look out over the Grand Harbour and see the historic Three Cities across the water. It is one of those places where I could stand with my camera for far longer than I probably should.

The gardens date back to the time of the Knights of St. John and today are one of the places I would definitely recommend making time for when visiting Valletta.
But do not stop at the Upper Barrakka.
LOWER BARRAKKA GARDENS
The Lower Barrakka Gardens offer a completely different perspective.
They overlook the entrance to the Grand Harbour, and this is a wonderful place to slow down and watch the ships coming and going.
I could sit on a shaded bench and watch the Mediterranean Sea for hours.
There is something about watching a cruise ship slowly make its way into the harbor that never gets old for me.
And one of the best things about the Lower Barrakka Gardens is that they tend to feel a little more peaceful than the Upper Gardens.


THE SIEGE BELL MEMORIAL
Not far from the gardens is the Siege Bell Memorial.
The memorial commemorates those who lost their lives during the Siege of Malta in World War II. The large bell sits within a neoclassical structure overlooking the harbor.
Standing there and looking across the water makes it easy to appreciate just how strategically important Malta has been throughout history.
It is also another place where the history and beauty of Malta seem to exist side by side


WANDER THE STREETS
One of my favorite things to do in Valletta is something that does not cost a thing.
Wander.Yes, there are major attractions you should see. But do not spend your entire visit rushing from one sight to another.
Take a walk down the smaller streets.
Look up at the balconies.
Notice the doors, windows, stone buildings, tiny shops, and unexpected little corners.
Sometimes the best photographs are not the famous landmarks. They are the things you stumble upon when you are not really looking for anything at all.
![]() |
THE FOOD IS DELICIOUS — AND SOMETIMES UNEXPECTED
Then there is the food.
Oh, the food.
Malta has a wonderful mixture of Mediterranean influences, and you will find everything from traditional Maltese dishes to Italian, British, and international cuisine.
During my visits, I have found plenty of things that made me stop and say, “I have never had that before.”
You will also see plenty of familiar American fast-food chains if you need something that feels a little more like home.
But honestly, when I am traveling all the way to Malta, I would rather try something I cannot get back home.
That is part of the adventure.
THE BEAUTIFUL CHURCHES
Malta is filled with churches.
And when I say filled, I mean filled.
The Maltese tourism authority currently lists 359 churches across the islands, so you could spend a very long time exploring them.
Valletta alone has an incredible collection of historic churches, and even if you are not someone who normally goes out of your way to visit churches when traveling, I think Malta may change your mind.
The interiors can be every bit as impressive as the exteriors.
Unfortunately, churches do not necessarily stay open all day, so you may have to get a little lucky with your timing.
On one of my visits, we happened to be there on a Sunday, and I was able to get inside and take a few photographs before the doors closed.
I was glad I did.















No comments:
Post a Comment