There are some places you stay that are simply a place to sleep, and then there are places that become part of the trip itself. The Driftwood Inn in Mexico Beach, Florida, was one of those places for me.
Located directly along Florida's Gulf Coast, the Driftwood Inn offers a relaxed, old-fashioned beach getaway with beautiful Gulf views, private balconies, and plenty of places to sit back and enjoy the coastal surroundings. After being rebuilt following a devastating fire, the inn has a fresh new look while still maintaining the laid-back charm that makes a small beach inn so appealing.
If you're looking for a quieter Florida beach vacation away from the feel of a large resort, the Driftwood Inn is definitely worth considering.
Staying at the Driftwood Inn
The newly refurbished interior immediately caught my attention. Rather than feeling overly modern or cookie-cutter, the inn has personality. There is quirky décor throughout the property along with beautiful original artwork that gives the space a fun, coastal character.
My room was cozy, clean, and thoughtfully decorated. It had the comfortable, relaxed feeling I want when I'm staying somewhere near the beach. And, of course, being able to hear the gentle sound of the waves nearby was an added bonus.
But there was one feature in my room that really stood out to me.
The Balcony Doors I Loved
My favorite part of the room was the doors that close over the balcony.
I had never really thought about having something like this at home before, but I absolutely loved the idea. They give the balcony a completely different feel and add so much character to the room. I honestly found myself thinking about how I could recreate something similar in my own house.
It's little details like this that make a room memorable rather than just functional.
Driftwood Inn Amenities
The Driftwood Inn has a nice selection of amenities, particularly for a smaller beach property.
Guests can enjoy:
- Private Gulf-facing balconies in every room
- Outdoor seating areas throughout the property
- Walkways over the dunes leading directly to the beach
- Outdoor dining areas
- An outdoor restroom off the back deck
- A beachfront gazebo with swings
- Elevator access to every floor
- Guest washers and dryers available for a fee
I especially liked the outdoor spaces. There's something about being at the beach that makes you want to spend as much time outside as possible, and the Driftwood Inn gives guests plenty of opportunities to do just that.
The Beach at Mexico Beach
Of course, the biggest attraction here is the beach.
The Driftwood Inn sits right along the Gulf, with a walkway leading over the dunes and directly onto the beach. Having the beach just steps from your room makes it incredibly easy to come and go throughout the day.
Mexico Beach is known for its beautiful white sand and clear, emerald-colored Gulf water. It's the kind of beach that invites you to slow down—whether that means spending the afternoon swimming, looking for shells, walking along the shoreline, or simply sitting under an umbrella with a good book.
For me, one of the best parts was simply being able to walk outside and be at the beach without having to get in the car.
Why I Would Stay at the Driftwood Inn
What I enjoyed most about the Driftwood Inn was its combination of location and personality.
It's not a huge resort where you can get lost among hundreds of other guests. Instead, it has that more personal beach-inn feeling. You can step outside, find a comfortable place to sit, walk down to the beach, or relax on your own balcony and listen to the Gulf.
And while the property has been rebuilt and updated, it hasn't lost the charm that makes a small coastal inn special.
I also loved the little touches—the artwork, the quirky décor, the outdoor spaces, and especially those balcony doors that I still think about recreating at home.
If you're planning a trip to Mexico Beach and want a beachfront stay with plenty of character, the Driftwood Inn is a place I'd be happy to return to.
PHONE: 850.648.5126









No comments:
Post a Comment