May 22, 2015

Inks Lake State Park: A Quick Drive Through the Texas Hill Country

Inks Lake State Park is one of those places that makes you want to come back and spend more time exploring.

Located in the Texas Hill Country near Burnet, the park sits along the shores of Inks Lake and is known for its clear blue water, rocky scenery, hiking trails, swimming areas, and beautiful sunsets.
 



My sister and I did not actually plan to spend the day at the park. We were traveling through the area and decided to stop and take a look around. Unfortunately, it was raining, so we did not get to do much exploring or stay very long.

We did, however, drive around the park and take a look at the camping areas and some of the other facilities.



Since I worked at a state park, I always notice how well a park's buildings and grounds are maintained. Inks Lake State Park made a good impression on me. Everything we saw appeared to be clean and well maintained.


What Can You Do at Inks Lake State Park?

Although we only drove through, there is plenty to do here if you have more time.

Swimming: The park has several swimming areas, including the popular Devil's Waterhole. Equipment such as kayaks, canoes, and paddle boats may be available for rent.

Hiking: There are several trails throughout the park, including trails around Devil's Waterhole and through the surrounding rocky landscape.

Camping: Inks Lake State Park offers campsites and other overnight accommodations for visitors who want to stay longer.

Fishing: Fishing is another popular activity, with fishing areas, piers, and a boat ramp available.

The park store also carries snacks, camping supplies, and souvenirs.


A Quick Visit

One thing I especially appreciated about our visit was the flexibility of the park staff.

We went into the visitor center to ask if we had to pay the regular entrance fee just to drive through the park. We had not planned to get out and explore because of the rain.

They gave us a 30-minute pass, which allowed us to drive through and get a look at the park without paying the full day-use fee.

That was a nice experience, especially because some attractions require you to pay the regular admission price even if you are only stopping briefly.


If You Are Planning a Visit

Inks Lake State Park
3630 Park Road 4 West
Burnet, TX 78611

The park is open daily. Entrance fees, camping rates, and hours can change, so I recommend checking the official Texas Parks & Wildlife website before your visit.

Texas Parks & Wildlife — Inks Lake State Park


Would I Go Back?

Absolutely.

We really did not get to experience Inks Lake State Park the way I would have liked because of the rain. We mostly drove through, looked at the campground, took a few pictures, and got a quick impression of the park.

But sometimes a quick visit is enough to make you want to return.

The scenery was beautiful, the park appeared to be very well maintained, and there was plenty to see and do. If I am back in the area, I would like to return on a sunny day and actually spend some time exploring the trails and lake.

Have you visited Inks Lake State Park? I would love to hear what you thought of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10