November 21, 2017

SOUTHERN PECAN PIE RECIPE

SOUTHERN PECAN PIE


Every year my Homesteading site Sweet Southern Blue crashes because so many people are trying to get to this pecan pie recipe.  It's a recipe that I have been using for over thirty years and I believe it's an old Better Homes and Gardens recipe.  

It an effort to make the recipe available, even when my site crashes, I have added the recipe on my travel blog.  If you have time after  your big Thanksgiving meal and your black Friday shopping, come back and visit this blog where I tell you how I am able to travel on a very small budget.



   Pecan Pie


   Ingredients

  • 1 Purchased pie crust or home made pie crust (see recipe below)
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup corn syrup
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups pecan halves

   Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.   Prepare purchased crust or  roll out pastry for Single-Crust Pie and  line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.
  2. For filling, combine eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in pecan halves.
  3. Pour the filling into the pastry shell and place in preheated oven.
  4. To prevent over-browning, cover the edge of the pie with foil. Bake for about 45 minutes. Remove foil  Bake longer if needed.  Pie is ready when a knife inserted near the center comes out clean or when the pie only slightly “jiggles” when you remove from oven.  It will set (get harder/thicker) as it cools.
  5. Cool on a wire rack.
  6. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.  *see note

Note:  I just wanted to make a couple of side notes.  The original recipe said to pour the sugar/egg/butter mixture into the crust while on the rack in the oven.  I have no idea why, it was just the way this old recipe was written.
Secondly, the recipe says to refrigerate within 2 hours.  I have never refrigerated my pecan pies  and when you purchase them from the bakery, they are not refrigerated.  With that being said, I think you should do what you feel is best for your family health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10