December 26, 2020

Quick Tour around the Gothic Quarter - Barcelona


Barcelona has a way of pulling me back.

By this trip, I had already been to Barcelona a few times, so this wasn't about seeing the city's biggest sights for the first time. I had already experienced some of the places that usually make the top of every Barcelona itinerary. This visit was different. I wanted to slow down, wander, revisit some of the areas I loved, and simply enjoy being in the city again.

My friends and I were actually on our way to Malta, and we found that flying through Barcelona gave us a much better deal on our flights. Rather than treating Barcelona as nothing more than a stopover, we decided to spend a few days there.

And I knew exactly where I wanted to stay.

Staying in the Gothic Quarter

Since I had enjoyed the Gothic Quarter on previous visits, we booked an apartment right in the neighborhood. Staying here meant we could walk out our door and immediately be surrounded by the narrow medieval streets, old stone buildings, little shops, restaurants, and tucked-away squares that make the Barri Gòtic so atmospheric.

We stayed at Apartments St. Jordi Comtal. If you're interested in where we stayed, you can find more information about the apartment [here].



One of my favorite things about the Gothic Quarter is that you really don't need a plan.

In fact, having no plan may be the best plan of all.

You can start walking down one narrow street, turn because something catches your eye, and suddenly find yourself in a completely different little square. There are beautiful doorways, balconies overflowing with plants, old stone walls, tiny shops, cafés, and architectural details that are easy to miss if you're rushing from one attraction to another.


Getting Lost in the Barri Gòtic

The Barri Gòtic is one of those places where I never get tired of wandering.

Even after visiting Barcelona several times, I still find myself looking up at the buildings, noticing details I don't remember seeing before, or turning down a street simply because it looks interesting.

The neighborhood has layers of history everywhere you look. Roman Barcelona, medieval Barcelona, and modern Barcelona all seem to exist together here.

And then there are the little squares.

You might walk through a narrow passage and suddenly emerge into a peaceful plaza with a fountain, a few tables outside a café, and people sitting around enjoying the afternoon. A few steps later, you're back in the maze of streets.



This is the kind of sightseeing I enjoy most when I'm returning to a city. There isn't the same pressure to see everything. Instead, I can spend an afternoon simply walking and letting Barcelona unfold around me.

Barcelona Is Made for Wandering

There is something wonderfully unpredictable about walking around Barcelona.

One minute you're admiring a centuries-old building, and the next you're looking at a colorful storefront or stopping to watch people sitting at an outdoor café.

The Gothic Quarter is especially good for this because the streets are so compact and winding. You never quite know what you'll find around the next corner.



By this point, Barcelona felt familiar to me, but it didn't feel ordinary.

I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy returning to places I've visited before. The first trip is often about seeing the famous sights. The later trips allow you to discover the personality of the city.

For me, the Gothic Quarter is a place where that personality really comes through.




Don't Forget the Food

Of course, you can't spend time in Barcelona without eating.

Barcelona has an incredible food scene, and one of the fun things about wandering the city is discovering places along the way. Between restaurants, cafés, bakeries, markets, and dessert shops, there is always something tempting around the corner.





Why I Keep Coming Back to Barcelona

After a few visits, you might think a city would start to feel familiar enough that there would be nothing new to discover.

Barcelona has never felt that way to me.

Every visit gives me a chance to experience the city differently. Sometimes I'm focused on the major attractions. Other times I'm looking for food, exploring a neighborhood, or simply walking with no particular destination.

This trip was about the Gothic Quarter.

We were only in Barcelona for a short period of time before continuing on to Malta, but I'm glad we chose to make Barcelona part of the journey rather than simply passing through.

Sometimes the best travel memories aren't the ones where you see the most.

They're the ones where you slow down, wander around a neighborhood you l

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10