March 24, 2021

DID I CHANGE MY TOP PLACES TO VISIT IN BARCELONA?


The amount of time you have in Barcelona will determine how much you can see and how long you can spend at each attraction. Whether you have only a day or several days, there is plenty to keep you busy.

I wrote a post back in 2016 called Barcelona: Must-See Sights If You Only Have One Day." which is still helpful if you are visiting the city for a short time.

If you are only in Barcelona for a day—perhaps because you arrived by cruise ship—I recommend taking the hop-on, hop-off bus. It is an easy way to see many of the city's major attractions without spending your limited time figuring out transportation.

Even if you are staying in Barcelona longer, I still recommend seeing the city by bus at least once. You can get off whenever something catches your eye and then hop back on when you're ready to continue exploring.


SAGRADA FAMILIA

I finally made it to the Sagrada Familia!

Even though it was packed with people, I absolutely loved experiencing this incredible architectural masterpiece. There is simply nothing quite like seeing Gaudí's vision in person.

No landmark defines Barcelona quite like the Sagrada Familia. The soaring towers and colorful stained-glass windows make it breathtaking from the outside, but stepping inside is an experience all its own.

If this is your first visit to Barcelona, I would definitely put the Sagrada Familia at the top of your list. Be sure to purchase your tickets in advance, as this is one of the city's most popular attractions.

You can read more about visiting the Sagrada Familia [HERE]. 


MERCADO DE LA BOQUERIA     

       

This brings me to the first place I consider a must-see that I hadn't visited on my previous trips to Barcelona.

I mentioned the tree-lined avenue of Las Ramblas in an earlier post, and I still recommend taking a stroll down this famous street. But this time, be sure to stop along the way and explore one of Barcelona's most famous landmarks—the Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria, better known simply as La Boqueria.



The market is filled with colorful displays of fresh fruit, vegetables, meats, seafood, cheeses, sweets, and all kinds of delicious foods. It is one of those places where you can spend much longer than you planned simply wandering from one stall to another.

And if you know me, you already know that a place centered around food is going to get my attention!

You can read more information about La Boqueria [HERE].

GOTHIC QUARTER

The Gothic Quarter is still my favorite part of Barcelona.

Lose yourself in the maze of narrow medieval streets, hidden squares, beautiful architecture, and ancient Roman ruins. This is one part of the city where I think you should slow down and simply wander.

The Gothic Quarter is also home to the beautiful Barcelona Cathedral, along with charming shops, boutiques, cafés, and some incredible places to eat.

I'm obsessed with the architecture here, and the food scene is incredible—which is perfect for someone like me who plans trips around what I'm going to eat next!

If you enjoy wandering through historic neighborhoods rather than simply checking attractions off a list, make sure you allow plenty of time for the Gothic Quarter.

Check out these posts for more information about the Gothic Quarter.

If you are a chocolate lover, you must visit Fargas.



NATIONAL ART MUSEUM OF CATALONIA 

The National Art Museum of Catalonia, or MNAC, sits atop Montjuïc in the grand Palau Nacional. Even if museums aren't normally at the top of your travel list, I think this one is worth visiting for the building and the views alone.

The museum's collection spans more than a thousand years of Catalan art, but what really makes this stop special to me is the incredible panoramic view of Barcelona from the terrace.

You can see Plaça d'Espanya and much of the city below, making this one of my favorite viewpoints in Barcelona.

It rained on and off during our visit, and we even heard a few rumbles of thunder. Unfortunately, the storm rolled in and the fountains were turned off, so the view wasn't quite as picturesque as it had been on our previous trip.

Even so, I still consider the MNAC a must-see in Barcelona.

You can read more about the MNAC [HERE] and see why I recommend adding it to your itinerary.


OLYMPIC STADIUM (Vila Olímpica)

Barcelona hosted the 1992 Summer Olympics, and the area around Montjuïc is still a reminder of the city's Olympic history.

There is a bus stop at the Olympic Village, so if you're taking the hop-on, hop-off bus and have some extra time, get off and look around.


You don't necessarily have to spend hours here. If you're short on time, a quick stop is enough to take in the area before continuing on to your next Barcelona adventure.

PARK GUELL

Another of Gaudí's creations, Park Güell is one of Barcelona's most recognizable attractions.


I finally made it to Park Güell, although we did not purchase tickets to enter the Monumental Zone.

Even without those tickets, there was still plenty to see and enjoy. The colorful architecture, unusual shapes, and views of Barcelona make this a fun place to explore.

If seeing Gaudí's famous mosaic work and the Monumental Zone is important to you, be sure to plan ahead and purchase the appropriate tickets. You can read more about the Park Guell [HERE]

PLACA CATALUNYA


Plaça Catalunya is one of Barcelona's main squares and a central meeting point between the older parts of the city and the newer Eixample district.

It is also a convenient starting point for exploring some of Barcelona's most famous streets and attractions.

If you are taking the hop-on, hop-off bus, this is another easy place to stop and explore before continuing your sightseeing. You can read more about the Placa Catalunya [HERE]


IF YOU HAVE MORE TIME

Barcelona has far more to see than I could possibly fit into one post. If you have additional time in the city, here are a few more places worth considering.

PICASSO MUSEUM If you enjoy art, check out the Picasso Museum. Barcelona has a strong connection to Pablo Picasso, and the museum is a great choice for anyone interested in his work and his development as an artist.

PALACE OF CATALAN MUSIC If music and architecture interest you, don't miss the Palace of Catalan Music. The building itself is worth seeing, even if you aren't attending a performance.

MONTJUÏC CASTLE And if you like castles, check out Montjuïc Castle. Located high above the city, it offers another opportunity to explore Barcelona's history while taking in the views.




No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10